Views: 22813

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

The units that were formed by Devon indicated the intent to drill from surface locations on the edge of or just outside of the unit boundary 8 horizontal laterals with max length of ~6732'.  They are formed on the diagonal because that is the axis of the unit wells to be drilled.  Lateral axis is important regarding the orientation of the natural fractures in the formation.  GDP chose to keep SUA as approved instead of applying to dissolve the unit and form a larger one. 

The other Little Silver Creek units formed by DVN illustrate another consideration for operators often over looked by mineral lessors.  Each unit boundary requires a set back of 330'.  Where units abut that equals a 660' wide swath of rock not fracked and therefore not produced.   Larger units equate to less unproduced rock which both the operator and the state tend to find desirable. 

If GDP drills a well and likes the rock, the precedent has already been set for the Office of Conservation to approve Cross Unit Laterals (CUL).  That allows longer laterals without going back to dissolve and reapply for different unit sizes.

Went by Blades 33H #1 on 1-14-2014. Rig was not up yet.
Attachments:

Search by Field and enter Little Silver Creek, that's how I accessed the application and plat.  Many of the changes in the database were underway when staffing was cut back so not every element currently works as it should. 

Thanks.

I get frustrated with the Louisiana system.

It appears there was a grandiose design for the system, but I can't find a d*%^# thing on it!...or very little, anyway.

The Mississippi system, while simpler and providing less information, is easy to navigate.

The LA O&G database, SONRIS, is generally consider the most comprehensive and user friendly of any state.  We've taught many GHSers to use it.  Although the discussions were posted before some changes were made to the system, the SONRIS Help Center still has a lot of good descriptions of how to perform searches.

http://www.gohaynesvilleshale.com/group/sonris_help_center

I appreciate the link and I will attempt to learn this "learner friendly" system.

I wish I could reply beneath your previous response to my question about why the unit was tilted diagonally and why it was smaller than those set in Mississippi.

By the way, I still wonder why Mississippi is giving permits for units that are 10,560' in length with planned laterals of 6,000'...after the borders, that's 3,900' of wasted area.

Instead, I'll do it here.

"The units that were formed by Devon indicated the intent to drill from surface locations on the edge of or just outside of the unit boundary 8 horizontal laterals with max length of ~6732'."

The terms "horizontal" and "lateral" have been used interchangeably throughout my readings on the TMS.  Here you use the words together and I'm not following you.

I'm assuming the 880 acre unit here is 1 mile wide which would make it 7,260' long.  With a 330' border on either end, that would limit its length (whether horizontal or lateral in my mind) to 6,600'

The spacing for up to 8 wells makes sense to me.

"They are formed on the diagonal because that is the axis of the unit wells to be drilled.  Lateral axis is important regarding the orientation of the natural fractures in the formation."

If I'm understanding you, Devon believed and Goodrich is following their lead, that the best way to frack these wells is into the formation. 

In other words, the diagonal unit was formed to allow the drills to go at a 90 degree angle across the formation and the fracturing would be "with" the grain, so to speak, of the formations....right?

"If GDP drills a well and likes the rock, the precedent has already been set for the Office of Conservation to approve Cross Unit Laterals (CUL).  That allows longer laterals without going back to dissolve and reapply for different unit sizes."

Are you saying that IF this cross unit lateral is drilled and is successful, then future drills on north/south units may be diagonally rather than north/south?

Bernell your computer may be blocking pop ups while you are trying to use Sonris. If you are using Sonris Lite you don't have to worry about  the pop up but on the heavy side of Sonris, Document Access, you do. You can hold down the Ctrl key when you click on search or you can change the settings on your firewall to accept pop ups from Sonris.

Thanks

Hope it is a big one, guys. Good luck.

Bernell, when you lose that darned Reply command button the best course is to go to the reply box just below the discussion title.  It doesn't always work but it's the best alternative.

Laterals aren't always exactly horizontal but the specifics are of little import.  The two terms are interchangeable for our purposes.  I scaled the units on the plat instead of doing the math you performed.  No real significance in the difference between 6732' and 6600'.  You're not related to adubu by any chance?  LOL! 

All horizontal wells are drilled in accordance with the orientation of the natural fractures in the formation regardless of their location/play.  The HS axis of choice was directly north to south so units were formed based on section lines.  The TMS axis is more NE to SW so that's how the units are aligned.  The axis is chosen so that fractures induced by hydraulic pressure contact as many existing natural fractures as possible within the formation.  I have not looked into whether this is perpendicular or parallel regarding the TMS.

Nope.  I'm saying if they drill a horizontal well that conforms to the size of the existing SUA unit and they like what they see, they can then proceed to apply for CULs leaving the existing units as the are.  There is no need to do that unless they intend to drill more wells.  Keep in mind that this well and others GDP will drill across former DVN leasehold will be science wells to determine rock quality and the effectiveness of the completion design GDP has successfully employed in their MS wells.  I haven't checked the orientation of the MS wells but GDP must be satisfied with the axis of the existing Little Silver Creek units or they would have applied to dissolve SUA and reform it on a different axis.

I need some instruction - HS- I assume this means Haynesville Shale.

SUA?

I'm assuming the Mississippi wells must be mostly east to west such that the north south drills are acceptable, because all units here are aligned north and south and the drills follow that alignment.

Most of the units I've seen south of the Mississippi line in Louisiana are also north/south, though I have seen a couple of these tilted ones and wondered about it. 

Thanks for explaining their reasoning.

Yes to the HS.  SUA is Sand Unit A.  In this case the Little Silver Creek SUA where the TMS RA SUA;BLADES 33 H 001 well is permitted.  I'm not sure if the lateral wellbore is running with or at right angles to the axis of natural fractures.  I think the induced fractures would need to propagate in the direction that would intersect the bulk of the natural fractures.  It is possible that as the TMS tilts south the fracture pattern shifts.  You're welcome, Bernell.

RSS

Groups

Not a member? Get our email.

Latest Activity

Richard David Otley left a comment for Vanessa Herbert
7 hours ago
Richard David Otley and Vanessa Herbert are now friends
7 hours ago
john henry posted a discussion
13 hours ago
Anthony Thomas left a comment for Vanessa Herbert
21 hours ago