Rosebud's discussion about unusual food combinations, got me to wondering if I'm missing any good Restaurants around town. I don't cook, so I've been to a bunch, but I'm sure I've missed a few.

What are some of the "don't miss" small establishments that I might have missed?

Views: 169

Replies to This Discussion

Ditto. However the Cantina hardly qualifies as a "Hole in the Wall"!!!! LOL!
Very True! Cantina is pretty upscale hole in the wall. The reason I listed it is because alot of people don't know about it. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
We drove to Vivian last Saturday to Chavos. It is in the Motel located on the main highway. The owner use to own a place in Shreve City called Los Besienos (spelling may be wrong). That was also a "hole in the wall". They do great Mexican their cheese dip is excellent and so is the hot sauce. It is worth the drive. Great "hole in the wall" food and this is a true "hole in the wall". Worth our drive, we thought it was. So many Mexican restaurants but this is a little different. Ask for the cheese sauce.
There's this little bakery in Mansfield, right on the main road, that stopped at once and got a breakfast sandwich and some donuts. I swear the donuts were some of the best I have had. I got an apple fritter and a glazed. The glazed is much better than a krispy creme.
Ya'll need to try Kim's Seafood at the corner of Benton and Texas St. They moved up here after Katrina destroyed their restaurant in New Orleans. They have the best po-boys and fried rice. Po-boys have to be on crusty french bread, not a hoagie or other weird bun. Plus, the best po-boys need a fork to eat the other 1/2 of the shrimp that fall out of the sandwich.
Taylor,

I heard good things about Kim's from others, but was sadly disappointed when I got there (but I'm from South Louisiana, so it's hard to match poboys from down there). I had a hot roast beef. Maybe that was the problem.

I still remember when we first moved to this area 20 years ago that I asked for a BBQ poboy "dressed" and they asked me if I meant "put cole slaw on it". Eeeww.

The best poboy I have had "up" here in yankee country was from the little restaurant in the river at the boat launch in Shreveport (I think they have closed). Gumbo to Geaux is a close second.
Cole slaw is the work of the devil. I went to a BBQ restaurant that was supposedly North Carolina style. It was pretty good BBQ pork, but they put cole slaw on it unless you told them not to. !!!GAG!!!!
Mac,

It didn't sound appetizing to me either.

About the only thing I miss about South Louisiana is the food. Especially boiled seafood.
Parker: One of my favorites is to go to Hickory Stick and get a sliced ham sandwich and get them to put a tad of slaw on it with BBQ sauce. You need to put a sheet around your neck to eat it, but it sure is good.
I've never had the roast beef poyboy...just the seafood. Sorry to hear you were disappointed. The best po-boy I've ever had was at a gas station in Metarie! I do love Gumbo to Geaux, Kevin has done a great job with the place!
I'll second Kim's, food's good and inexpensive never hurts either.

Oh and I'll vouch for Ichiban too. Same deal.
On East Texas where Mr. Jim's chicken used to be is a Place called Louisiana Cajuns or something. I was subbing at a school in the area and at lunch headed to get a quick snack and stopped at the light noticed it and turned in to buy fries and head back. Did not know anyone made a Philidelphia Cheese Steak Sandwich in this neck of the woods, haven't tried the red snapper but looking forward to it...hooked on the steak sand.....

Used to eat at StumpWater Inn. Across the street at the Longstreet gas station I have been told is the best steak in the area. On the week end it is reservations only. Only a few tables inside, they say the labor to get a steak there is well worth it....

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service