T. Boone Gets Ready For His Million-Megawatt March
By Chris Vogel in Cover Story, Environment, Political AnimalsTuesday, Mar. 31 2009 @ 2:16PM
General T. Boone Pickens is invading Washington, D.C. tomorrow. Well, virtually.

Members of his New Energy Army, numbering somewhere between 1.5 and 3 million strong, are planning to bombard Congress with emails and phone calls urging lawmakers to pass legislation favorable to Pickens' plan to use less foreign oil and more wind power and natural gas. The three day campaign on Capitol Hill will last through Friday and Pickens' troops are getting keyed up.

"It's going to be a lot of fun to see what happens over the next few days," says Jordan Birden, the Pickens' army representative at Texas A&M who grew up just north of Houston.

Birden tells Hair Balls he's been contacting hundreds of people over social networking websites for the past few weeks urging them to take action this week. As for his part, Birden says not only will he email Texas senators Kay Bailey Hutchison and John Cornyn, but he will also call their offices in Washington, D.C.

"I was sitting there thinking about this the other day," he says, "and if these senate offices all of a sudden get 50,000 or more phone calls in one day, they're not going to know what to do with themselves."

Which is exactly the point. Pickens and numerous corporate sponsors for the event, including American Electric Power, the American Wind Energy Association and Chesapeake Energy, all have a stake in making sure lawmakers give a helping hand to wind energy and natural gas. Pickens himself will reportedly be in Washington lobbying as well.

The event has been in the works for about a month. Birden says the anticipation is killing him.

"There's been so much build-up," he says. "An tomorrow, once the bombs drop, it's going to be kinda fun to sit there and watch."

Get her done!

Buck

Views: 116

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That will be very interesting to see how it all plays out.
Buck,

Did you notice on the video, that Shreveport was the second place on the list of cities that Boone visited?
The Haynesville Shale is already going to change our community over the next few years.

Can you just imagine if Boone's plan gains traction, how quickly those changes will take place here?
Things sure have changed on this site, of late. This site became what it is because of varied opinions. Its quite a shame that doesnt count anymore.

Factual representation for ones ideas/opinions, while extremely important for proof, has never meant much on here if it didnt back up the clanging symbols own point of view. In other words, "It dont matter if it differs from my opinion".

For the naysayers out there, in regards to windmill productivity, it may be going the same route as corn based ethanol production. It just doesnt work like they said it would. Corn is the least productive of all of the wonder fuel ingredients being used to make ethanol. That is a simple fact. Please show me otherwise. Not to mention the fact that the powers that be, cant harness wind, let alone figure out a way to tax it into submission.

You can be "Green" until you are blue in the face, it wont change the way things have always been done. Everybody on the HS with mineral ownership wants NG to be the way. Until they dont have a more profitable alternative for themselves, it will continue to sit in the background, waiting to be exploited.

But , that is just my opinion after all. Hope that wasnt too uncomfortable for anyone. I enjoy your posts Mr. Buckner. I hope this last responce wasnt a preview of what the future holds for avid followers of your postings. I would really miss your wit.
KB,
My comment had nothing to do with earmarks for corn. Just meant it wouldnt work because they wouldnt allow it to.
My only reason for responding was to try and curb some of the nasty that has become common place of late. I hate to see it head that direction.
I am out of practice but while we are on the subject.............

I agree that NG is a bridge but where does it lead ? Future dependance on foreign NG ?
Why is our goal to get off of foreign oil ?
I aint talking about any kinda left wing/right wing propaganda stuff.
Just the real deal........
Declining! Deminishing! Depleted!
Those are the catch words from any intelligent person in the know, in regards to our oil future.

We dont have control over the oil reserves needed. We cant keep up with our consumption. Everyone elses consumption is increasing as well while supplies fall.
There isnt any other, none ecological explaination.

Ethanol has been a huge failure for us. It was mearly a bone thrown to environmentalists to make them feel that the big boys were "Looking toward the future and our best interests". HA! It was centered around helping gas be more environmentally friendly and to go farther. Not to replace it.

Why can ethanol work elsewhere but not here ?
Because we need "Texas Tea" to keep these wheels rolling. At least we used to. This economy even has those guys second guessing.

Any time there has been a major scientific breakthrough or advancement in fuel technology, the O&G's buy it up. Say they are studying the effects or something like that. Never to be see again. Killing the competition so to speak.

Main problem with NG is that there is too much of it. It isnt in a short enough supply , in its current demand, to be as profitable as oil. But they dont have many other fossil choices. That is what they do after all.

If you feel that Don Quixote "tilted at windmills", you aint seen nothing yet. A little supplementation is fine to keep the greenies at bay but let the talk surpass supplementation only and it too will face extraordinary odds of survival in the short term at least. Every single penny that can be made for profit from O&G will be made before the next hurdle is even considered. Its not right but thats how it is.

Mr Krow,
While windmills may be major contributors energy wise in places like Holland, they arent cheep enough to compete with fossil fuels. Those places arent run by Big O&G, nor do they have the fossil fuels that we have.
They will become more talked about in the future with a more environmentally friendly world looking on but even T.B. Pickens seems to have dropped that part of his plan in regards to relevance. I hope you windmill guys are right, at least after I sell all the gas out from under Snake Estates.
Permalink Reply by Jim Krow 18 hours ago
Per link you provided
At the end of 2004, U.S. capacity reached 6,740 MW. Utility -scale wind power projects now under construction or under negotiation will add at least 5,000 megawatts of wind capacity in the U.S. over the next five years.

The U.S. Department of Energy has announced a goal of obtaining 6% of U.S. electricity from wind by 2020--a goal that is consistent with the current rate of growth of wind energy nationwide. As public demand for clean energy grows, and as the cost of producing energy from the wind continues to decline, it is likely that wind energy will provide a growing portion of the nation's energy supply.

This is rather old in regards to cutting edge Mr. Krow, I wonder if the projections are still on track ?
I will have to do some checking to find more current intell as I havent done any studying up on wind , because of its lack of having a pivotal roll, until hydrocarbons are no more. We can wish upon a star but that doesnt change reality.
Even if they are on track, which I rather doubt due to costs and intermediate performance, they still would only account for 6 % of total usage. If we dont curtail usage , that number of 6% wont hold water either.

While it was simply, my opinion, the link provided only reaffirms the offhanded statement that I made in the first place. Wind may be a bigger factor when we are being teleported back and forth from our cryogenically enhanced bio-dome cities , just dont think its in the next couple of decades is all.

Again, this is just my opinion. I hope you are right on this one. I do break, control quite a large amount of wind myself. Dont know if I could bottle it and sell it but you never know. :-)
It's not pessimism KB. It's realistic. I agree that the gap must be filled with these choices as well. The biggest, realistic, most affordable & plentiful filler is still a hydrocarbon.

If Big O&G dont control this global economy, then we will never totally agree on the final outcome of this and $4.00 a gallon gas didnt play any role in sending consumer confidence down the tubes and our slippery slope economy into the tank.
But if they do have something of a strangle hold, why would they allow something other than what they control, have a chance at stepping in and taking from their profits ?
I certainly dont profess or even claim to be an economist, but if I were at the top of this global economy, thats how I would play it. You dont get to the top by selling Girl Scout Cookies, unless you are shooting for "Den Mother of the Year".

There are many fine examples of pertinent,life changing technology , that simply have just dissappear into the vaults of Big O&G's patent offices. They hold the cards, KB. Thats one huge reason why I will continue to be "pertinacious" in regards to my holding onto my minerals until I am compensated according to their actual worth. :-)

P.S. Pertinacious was 3 words up from "pertinent" when I had to look up the spelling.

P.S.S. Without sounding too political, we will see how much of a capitalistic economy we still have when the bailout penalties start paying dividends to the current loan sharks, IMO.
Jim, this article lists the new wind farms in the US as well as around the world. I live near the Dry Lake Wind Farm in northern Arizona. It is having a good effect on the economy in this area as well as providing economical energy for the future. Note the case for and against wind power at the end of the article. Of course, as a landowner in DeSoto Parish, I believe that our natural gas should and will be a major energy for the future.
Mr. Stewart - found this to share. best - sesport :0)

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/cfapps/ipdbproject/iedindex3.cfm?tid=2&...
William, I am all for it. Increased use of renewables & natural gas for power generation. Increased use of power & natural gas for transportation fuel. Reduced reliance on foreign oil imports and coal for power generation. I would just throw in more nuclear power even though that is taboo in the US. It is the only realistic way to fully accomplish our long term goals.
You are right about Nukes, LesB, should have been building them for the last 10 to 15 years. We also need to take advantage of water power. Waves, rivers, dams and the like. There was this dude from Winn Parish that went up to see Obama about an energy devise that he had invented. He was arrested for having a 22 rifle in his truck. The dude was an Obama suporter and chose to give up his invention to Obama to save the world. Why didn't he come clean, about the invention during the Bush admistration?
TD,
That's funny you mention dams, I 'm not sure about Locks#4,3,2, or 1, but lock#5 was actually built with a space left to add a genarator. The Red River is perfect for it, not only does the water flow at high rate of speed, for three to six months a year. The generation adds valuable aeration to the water for the fish. Today at lock#5, (and I would consider the river low) they are releasing about 20,634 cfs, I'm by no means a expert in the field, but that should be a sufficient enough flow to turn the turbines. The turbines at Toledo Bend dam operate at about 10,000 cfs.

Cheap clean electricity+Happy environment+ Happy government+ Happy fisherman= Winner for everybody.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service