I wonder if someone well versed on Sonris can comment on how to interpret the choke numbers on the new Sonris system. I notice that they are expressed as a whole number. It mght say 12 or 15 or 78 for that matter. Is there a guide for what that translates into as a fractional number like 12/64, 15/64, 23/64, etc?

Thanks

Tags: Chokes

Views: 2440

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not believin' this. Did Jack Blake actually refer to himself in the first person? And in my thread? Wow!  ......J/K Jack, gotta give you a hard time. Thanks for the input.

The Serial number on this well is 239947 for those that want to take a peak at it and cast their two cents on it.

HMI, I say the shut-in pressures shown are errors as the shut-in pressure should be higher than the flowing pressure.

jack agrees that the S/I pressure is always more that the flowing pressure.

Jacks initial well data on  sec 21 t10n   r11w  MM #21-1:

SICP-9400#

FCP-8000#

choke- 30/64"

15 mmcf/d

water rate - ?

I got this data from a contact on GHS.  It has not been posted on SONRIS yet. 

GHS rocks howled Jack Blake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like a nice well. Jack wishes SWEPI had his well choked back like CHK has yours choked back.

Is IP envy beginning to be replaced by choke envy!  LOL!  I agree Jack.  If members will look back at the Locations and Completions discussion topic posted on Sunday, they will find a majority of the announced wells on restrictive choke settings in their initial completion report.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the "range of possibilities in your experience" explanation.  So the upshot of your statement is that any number up to 196 (which is a little wierd; 192 would be 3") could be in 64ths of an inch?  I am presuming in a dual pressure drop scenario, the most restrictive choke would be listed?

Actually I am more interested in the freezing aspect of this - seems that wet wells could easily suffer from icing at the choke, thereby being more restricted than intended?

Finally, what about the auto-chokes, or whatever, with software, calibrated in % opening that were mentioned by an earlier poster and reiterated by me?  Ever encounter those?

I have always wondered about chokes, as to whether they specified an absolute opening size (most comparable and logical, it would seem to me), or if they indicated a degree of choking of a pipe of unspecified size with gas flowing (tubing or whatever); this gets harder to figure, as in that scenario 64/64 is wide open, pipe size unspecified, 32/64 is half open, but this "half open" corresponds to a cross sectional area at the choke of 25%, not 50%.

Sorry for making this complicated; just seems if you don't have the denominator, there may still be scenarios where you cannot assume it is 64.

Hi Jack,

Probably best to ignore the musings in the 4th paragraph above - I was simply trying to allude to prior confusion; the real remaining issue has more to do with whether a % interpretation, in the absence of a denominator, is ever a possibility.  You have pretty much clarified that limits on the diameter of the pipe running into the choke are not 64/64 inch...  I guess that does raise another question - is there a standard "coiled tubing" size, and are these always at some point installed? (I could add "and what function does it really serve" - latching on to someone here who seems to actually know what all the parts are, and what they do :-)

Thanks much - Robert 

On my well sec 8 16n 15w they got the choke at 80. wtf??

it's on an 80/64" choke. 

Jack, more likely that it is a typo or other error.

I have a CHK well on which I get daily production reports. After the first two or three days, the choke size reporting changed from 22/64 to 80. When I inquired, I was told the designation "80" was approved by the State for "flow control chokes." It seems that the choke is adjusted by software to produce a desired volume per day based on flow rates and pressure.

The first 30 days produced an average of 9,597 mcf/d; second thirty days at 9,414 mcf/d; third 30 days at 9,870 mcf/d. I wish I knew the FCP, but I sure like the decline rate. One day test on third day of production was 24 hour IP of !7.782 mmcf. Nice well and good example of "restricted choke."

Frank, thanks for the information.  So the choke will function similar to a an infinitely adjustable control valve.

Most of Devon's test results in East Texas are reported with a choke size of "Adj" for adjustable.   

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service