We have property in extreme NE Bossier Parish, TS23, that borders Lafayette county and we are getting some lease offers.  This property was continually leased for many years but the past 2 or 3 years it has went unleased. Samson Contour has made the latest offer but I don't know a lot about this company.  The land man says they want to drill for natural gas in the Cotton Valley.  I would love to get some input and some comments and advice from all the folks on here that are much more knowledgeable than I am.  The lease from Samson seems to be the best offer and sounds about right for this area which is unproven aside from some Pettit oil producers in the area.  Kieth, Skip, Aubrey, Ted, anyone else jump on in there and give me some help.  Thanks

Views: 17378

Replies to This Discussion

I was going to ask you that! lol   Does it show acreages?  I know several larger private landowners that they didn't lease!

I'll try to find time tomorrow to look through all the leases and plot the tracts.

I was trying to keep up with how many sections they leased in. I had came up with between 14-15 in T22r12w and T22r11w.  90% was in the 3D survey that was done 2 yrs ago. I am not sure but would bet that you may know, do they record the survey at the court house?   I do know they leased further to the west than the survey was done and possibly further east but not over a couple of sections if that much. Appreciate as always your expertise Skip!

Seismic surveys are proprietary, not recorded in the public record.  The Merit leases cover portions of 21 sections in 22N-13/12/11W.

Thanks,  it went a little beyond the survey. I saw the survey area map when I talked with the crew chief of the seismic crew a couple of years ago.

Skip, have you heard anything out of JBL lately?  The fellow we dealt with is not reponding to either emails or phone. It seems like his cell is no longer in service. I wonder if they've concluded their work. I can't find a number for the office in the Beck building. Curious.  Also, do you still think St. Mary's is the operator?

J B Land has not filed a lease or memo in Bossier since June 8.  They did nominate a state tract included in the next lease auction.  That would appear to indicate that the company behind the J B Land offers is getting closer to actual development.  I think SM Energy would make sense for a horizontal liquids play but I'm not endorsing the guess of others that it is SM.  Merit Energy Services took a few leases in 23N -12W.  They may have some interest in making further offers.  Anyone interested in a fifth royalty and a bonus in the $300/acre range can contact them.  Don't be surprised if they offer a three or four year primary term with a two or three year extension option.  Then again both companies may be done for the foreseeable future.  If so, the question would be:  is another land company going to pick up the leasing with slightly better terms, or is the company behind the leasing willing to sit on the acreage they have until wells are drilled to determine the economic viability of the  area?  The level of leasing is such that some of this activity may be speculative by those with no intent to operate wells.

Merit Energy Services leased approximately 3,321 acres in their 66 leases filed to date.  Their furtherest west leases are in Sections 1 & 12 of 22N - 13W.  Sections 1,2,4,5,7,9,11,12,14 & 15 in 22N-12W and Sections 6,7,8,9,10,16 & 17 in 22N - 11W.  There is no obvious HBP acreage in 22N - 13W but that changes in 22N-12W and 22N-11W.   Samson Contour and Wildhorse (successor to Petrohawk in this area) have some however the bulk of existing production holding leases in force is by Devon and especially XTO.  I'm not in anyway suggesting that either Devon or XTO are behind the J B Land and Merit Land Services leasing.  I am pointing out that a company wishing to develop in this area could get a good bit of acreage through farmouts by the companies with producing wells.  Portions of this area would not require private land leases that would show up in the Bossier Clerk of Court's records.  The jury is still out.

Skip, Berkshire has some acreage in T22r12w in which some of it is HBP that I am sure you are aware of .Berkshire was the company behind the 3D survey that was done 2 yrs ago. I did a little research and found that they like to get an area started and then market it to a larger company. This may or may not be the case. IN some of the sections that land was leased there are no existing wells and from what i can find had only some plugged, none producing or dry hole petit wells. Puzzling to me other than it could be an unconventional play. I know areas where the petit was the deepest zone drilled. CV and Haynesville sand should show on Berkshire well logs that were drilled to upper SMK in their HPB right?

Where there are old servitudes leases may be in force without any detectable production.  Berkshire's well logs are likely on file with the Office of Conservation which would mean they are public records available to anyone.  The seismic may or may  not play a role in this leasing.  Impossible to tell without inside information.  I'm leaning to horizontal liquids in the CV and/or the Hosston.

I have been talking to a landman with J. B. Land Services about leasing in Bossier Parish.  Section 17 23N-12W.  He has now mentioned a Memorandum of Oil and Gas Lease.   This memorandum thing is new to me.  Is it a good thing?  Thanks in advance for any information.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service