Looks like they are wanting to drill in the north section of the 1280 acre unit the Sharp well is in.

Views: 11760

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I see that 7 5/8" casing was set to  8767 feet in the Milstead 15 #1, so it seems that it could be converted to a horizontal if they moved uphole to that depth to start their lateral kick-off. I don't think it is unusual for the kick-off to begin 1000 feet higher than the eventual true vertical depth. This well is now reported by SONRIS as "Shut-In Dry Hole; Future Utility", which means nothing except that we may not get progress reports for a while.

http://sonlite.dnr.state.la.us/sundown/cart_prod/cart_con_wellinfo2...

Good point, Obed. The Dean horizontal is an example of the casing program SWN plans to use. SWN has also stated that all their verticals could be converted to horizontal wells. The Dean had 7 5/8" casing set to 9561'.

http://sonlite.dnr.state.la.us/sundown/cart_prod/cart_con_wellinfo2...

Tony, I see that this 9561 feet is about 500 feet above the final true vertical depth of 10055 feet, but they could have started the lateral kick-off somewhat above 9561 feet. In the case of the Whiting Langford 4 H, the plat shows that the Brown Dense formation will be penetrated 350 feet north of the surface location. According to my calculations, assuming a constant rate of curvature, the curve for the Langford would have to start 845 feet above the top of the Brown Dense to enter the BD at a 45 degree angle 350 feet north of the surface hole. The curve would then reach horizontal 350 feet below the top of the BD, about  the middle of the 700-foot BD thickness.. So in this case the kick-off point would be 845+350=1195 feet above the true vertical depth.

So unless I'm missing something, the curve for the Milstead 15 #1 could begin at 8767 feet, where they have set 7 5/8" casing, and about 1000 feet above the eventual true vertical depth. Whether this will be done is another question.

Modern mud motors require approximately 300' to 500' to transition from vertical to horizontal at depths in the 10,000' range.  In certain situations it could take more vertical depth to make the transition.  The Haynesville Shale is on the upper end of the range and exceeding it is not uncommon due to the hardness of the formation.  Like drilling through concrete.  The BD has been mentioned by some as "sticky" that could affect the required distance also.

Thanks, Obed. Looks like you have done the math. Hopefully they will have a reason to go horizontal. I agree with Skip, a vertical should not be allowed to hold a 640 acre unit much less a 1280.

Then you guys should be as circumspect as I about SWN.  The company was among the first to push the envelope regarding applications for unusually large drilling units.  Probably the best example would be the 6000 acre units formed for coal seam development in Caldwell Parish.  Who knows what their arguments for approval of those were however they were successful.  If they had fully developed those units the point would be somewhat moot.  However they did not fully develop those units. 

it was because there was so much water. 

I should add that it looks like the curve in the Langford 4H will have a rate of curvature of 1 degree per 20.86 feet of arc.

There has been Landsman in the Litroe area of Union Parish,Anyone heard what might be going on?

Have you been offered to lease? If so, how much and from what company?

Not so far.... Just curious about the Landsman..

Any idea what company they are with?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service