Views: 16262

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, that is the well to which I was referring, whodat.

What has happened to the well in the last three years?  Was it ever offset, and if so what was the result? I don't understand why there wasn't more of an effort to stimulate and produce a 600 bopd well.  One would think that further exploration would start there and move outward.

Since this is Exxon fee and I believe the company owns many thousands of mineral acres in that part of Union Ph., why didn't they pick up the ball and run with it there instead of making their first effort 40 mi. east with the XTO well in Morehouse?

Lots of questions, I'm just trying to get some background.

it was an open hole vertical well in the game reserve near truxno La. maybe skip could help shed some light on the well?

The W-B Exxon-Mobile #2 has never been offset as indicated by state records.  The well is still listed Status Code: 36,  INACTIVE WELL- WAITING ON PIPELINE as of 08/20/09.  The well shows good pressure but not abnormal pressure.  If formation pressures are not relatively uniform across SWN's AOI, they may have to drill a number of wells to find the areas that fit their target model.  Pressures likely vary with permeability depending on localized fracturing.  I wonder if a seismic program wouldn't be a better, and more cost effective, approach as opposed to a string of test wells.  Perhaps one of our member experts can provide some help with the ability of seismic to detect lateral pressure differentials?

Skip, There is no better tool to get maximum geologic data than the drill bit....in conjunction with coring. It appears that AIX pattern of drilling test wells should be getting very valuable information. What a great bonus if they can get production sufficient just to cover costs. I am not aware of seismic technology that can detect lateral pressure differentials. But technology has changed so much in the 50 years since I worked in the geophysical field. Whether or not BD proves viable with present technology I believe the current drilling will pay dividends in development of production from other formations.

Right you are, Aubrey.  However the cost differential is quite significant between seismic and the drill bit.  Especially so when trying to generate data over an area greater than a half million acres. 

Yep, you can't just go out and drill $500K holes to gather information.  Only a drilling contractor would try to sell you that.  Those wells are being drilled in locations where they feel is the greatest probability of LSBD success. 

Last I checked 3D seismic was about $85K per square mile. 

Thanks for the article, Ray.

Ray, the Appleton Field is a different animal.  There they are basically looking at a 'reef' that formed on top of a basement high during the lower Smackover transgression.  The reservoir has relatively good porosity-permeability.   The typical L. Smk. Brown-Dense in N. La. and Arkansas is deeper water, finely crystalline limestone that may have some thin sandstone intervals and localized fracturing.  There is very little matrix porosity in the carbonate, unlike the example at Appleton.

Very insightful, Mr. Phillips.  Thanks for sharing.

i think that it is obvious that they have gone through a screening proccess in selecting what they believe are anamalous sites. Certainly geophysical surveys were used in screening to identify most promising areas. Based upon success of AIX in completing productive formations it would appear to be  cost effective way of pin pointing locations for horizontal drilling in BD. Just my opinion without being privy to their data.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service