By Tom Doggett

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President-elect Barack Obama will nominate Steven Chu, a Nobel physics laureate and advocate of alternative energy research, as his energy secretary, a Democratic aide said on Wednesday.

Chu, who would be the first Asian-American to lead the department, would work closely with former Environmental Protection Agency chief Carol Browner, who will head a new council coordinating White House policy on energy, climate and environmental issues.

Obama, who has said energy and environmental matters would be important to his administration, is filling out the team that will oversee them.

He wants to spend billions of dollars to promote alternative energy sources and create millions of green energy jobs.

Lisa Jackson, the chief of staff for New Jersey's governor, will also be nominated to head the Environmental Protection Agency, a Democratic aide confirmed. She would be the first African-American to lead that agency.

Earlier, a Democratic official said Obama had chosen Nancy Sutley, a deputy mayor of Los Angeles, to head the White House Council on Environmental Quality.

Browner, a principal at global strategy firm The Albright Group LLC, heads Obama's advisory team on energy and the environment. During President Bill Clinton's administration, she became the longest-serving EPA administrator.

Chu, whose appointment requires U.S. Senate confirmation, shared the 1997 Nobel Prize in physics for developing methods to cool and trap atoms with laser light and has been director of the Energy Department's Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California since 1994.

The laboratory's website said Chu was an early advocate for finding scientific solutions to climate change and had guided the laboratory on a new mission to become the world leader in alternative and renewable energy research, particularly the development of carbon-neutral sources of energy.

A spokesman for the Lawrence Berkeley laboratory said of Chu's selection: "We don't really know about it. Whatever contacts the Obama people have had with Steve Chu, he kept it offline from the laboratory."

Chu could not be reached for comment. He is traveling in Asia and Europe and will be back at work on Monday.

Jackson was New Jersey's environmental protection commissioner until she became the governor's chief of staff this month. She previously worked at the federal EPA for almost two decades.

(Writing by Tom Doggett, additional reporting by Deborah Charles; Editing by David Alexander and Peter Cooney)

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yep, during his run against Dave treen. "So slow it takes him an hour and a half to watch 60 minutes" EWE
Bump
Back in his prime he was a force. Probably pretty powerful to this day.
The " Teflon Don " of Louisiana .......... Nothing would stick.
Sorry guys, I just think he was my favorite of the recent history political criminals. And I think they ought to let him out of jail.
Me Teaux
I met EWE on two occasions in BR back in my lobbying days (Roemer administration). He was not only the consummate politician, he was a mesmerizing personality. He had charisma to the nth. degree. However there was too much of the back-slapping, tell ya what ya want to hear personality about him. He could make small talk with the powerful and the ordinary. And make you come away feeling good. It was only after I got to know some of his cronies that I began to realize how bereft of ethics they were. If you think the current furor over Gov. Blagoavitch is outrageous, you should have been in BR when the"real governor" held court in the early '90's. But then again, that's another book. KB can write the script. Snake will have a part. I'm just not sure which snake he will play. LOL!
Did I hear on the news today that Rahm E. is on the short list of this investigation?
He (EWE) used to come to a bar in Ruston (Rabbs), usually when Willie Nelson was there, and he would always have his pretty young wife, ( I salute him for that one). And his brother Marion would always be with him, and Marion would always have three or four good looking young women with him. And I saluted him for that until I knocked myself out. But they were all always a lot of fun, the Gov. didn't really drink, but loved to hang out and shoot the bull. Now Marion, he would knock back a few with you. Call me crazy, but that was my kind of governor.
Permalink Reply by Jim71006 25 minutes ago
I agree, he doesn't constitute a threat to society.

But I guess Martha Stewart did ? (no relation)
Has absolutely nothing to do with why a person should or shouldnt be in prison. Lets not forget all the things that he wasnt in jail for.
She is far too outspoken for us to be kin.
Get the towel!!!1
Too outspoken? Really? I think the family resemblance is obvious! LOL! Come on now,SS, own up. Ya gotta be distant cousins at least.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service