My cousin was talking to the people that do seismic. He said that the graphs show that there is more natural gas from 12,000-15,000 ft. than you could imagine! He also said that there is a pool of oil at 25,000 ft., maybe as much as there is in Saudi Arabia! This man that he was talking to has been doing seismic for over 35 years. He said the best thing about Shelby County is that there are 4 payzones here which is James Lime gas, Pettit oil, Bossier sands, Haynesville shale, and maybe many more. This seismic man seems to think that recovering this oil from 25,000ft. would be a problem. I do believe this info to be true. If anyone can elaborate on this, please do so.

Views: 401

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

this rumor keeps surfacing and keeps getting shot down.

sure i would like some oil under my gas but i kinda doubt it.
Who was the the seismic guy, the Brothers Grimm? LOL
(1) the tiber well is in the tertiary Wilcox formation, which is of eocene age and is the fresh water aquafier for Shreveport. In the unique situation the formation is drilled in deep offshore waters, the temperature is cool enough for oil.

(2) seismic can shoot below salt, logging through salt is a big problem.
Kevin, sorry but your "seismic guy" lost all credibility if he said the pool of oil could be as much as Saudi Arabia. Please read "Twilight in the Desert" to get a more detailed prospective on SA's oil reserves.

By the way, running seismic doesn't necessarily give one a lot of insight into reserves as the data has to be processed, mapped by a geophysicist/geologist team and passed to a reservoir engineer for assessment.
there is aUniv of Houston Mathematical team doing calcs of seismic 'echoes ' off salt domes. claims their offshore work has increased finding rate to over 86%
Kevin---what you touting and have where for sale now???????
Something reminds me of Oilvoice. Does it to you also, adubu?
Yep Yep I agree intrepid
If I'm mistaken, seismic data cannot tell a geophysicist whether there is oil or gas in the subsurface. Seismic gives you an idea of what the geometry might look like (thickness, breadth, trap, etc.) but by itself it is not very useful in making a determination of hydrocarbon type. There are bright spots that help identify gas, but that's a different story.

Second, anyone in this business that uses the term "there's a POOL of oil down there" is pretty much debunked as a not-so-smart person. Everyone within the industry knows that oil and gas doesn't reside down in the subsurface in "POOLS".

There are limits on the producibility of oil at depths due to pressure and temperature. And this is geologic depths. While some of the wells drilled offshore are deep in measured feet, they are not as "hot" as some of the onshore wells, so their temp and pressure aren't as high.
Well, hopefully when someone who reads this site hears this rumor off the board, they'll know to be skeptical.
I agree with the general tone to this recurrent theme. However, I do find it interesting that more than one Shelby county well has been permitted to 18,000 ft.
THANK FOR ALL THE FEED BACK . SO THIS IS A BUNCH OF BS

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service