O.K. Newbie here so cut me some slack if I screw this up. I just noticed there's no discussion group for my parish and communication among our residents is sketchy and patchy at best because we are VERY new to the oil play, so we don't have any collective wisdom here. Any comments, insights, or even heresay welcome here. What I have to contribute is just information on lease rates and the areas they are concentrating in right now. (Averaging $150 for first three, varying for next two. From 1/6 to 1/5 royalties.) Devon is about a month into drilling it's first Tangipahoa well just a little north of me in Fluker, Louisiana. I have friends who are part of the unit but they are not hearing much of anything. Security at the site is TIGHT with our local sheriff's office maintaining 24 hour presence a couple of hundred yards from the rig itself. They ask you your business and write it all down. I think it's called a "tight hole" or something like that. They are also going to be buying all the pond water nearby. I don't know how much they are paying but will ask around.I have heard that our state is limiting the drilling of wells for water but I'm not sure of that. It was just hearsay from a friend. Well that's it for now.This is a great site. I've learned tons here. Amelia Resources has been a great help as well. Keep up the good work people.

Views: 80546

Replies to This Discussion

My feelings are that until the oil people gather the laypersons in the areas of interest to lay on the table the info necessary for them to make quality decisions..the quacks will be out barking insinuations and falsities because there's room for it and they have a stage to proclaim their brilliance...geez!  Sorry to ask you BPM, but what is SWN?

SWN is Southwestern Energy.  Top notch outfit,  

Just came accross this WeyCo document soliciting proposals to lease its extensive acreage in the play.

http://www.weyerhaeuser.com/pdfs/businesses/minerals/TMS-Oil-Trend.pdf

Possibly it is connected with these.  If correct, Devon is pulling out of the Tuscaloosa.

http://www.1derrick.com/devon-looking-to-sell-utica-and-tuscaloosa-...

http://www.scotiawaterous.com/devon_2013_tuscaloosa/overview.html

My opinion is that Devon has been poor boying their fracking operations compared to Encana and Goodrich, who seem to be doing well.  Here is recent news from Goodrich:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/goodrich-petroleum-announces-tuscaloo...

You seem to be following this play quite closely.  What is your take on Devon pulling out?

Well, well, well. Thanks to Goodrich, I've quit my job cleaning bathrooms at Taco Bell again. I am currently awaiting my oil millions. While I wait, I'll pose a question. The Soterra 6H-1 in Tangipahoa parish is currently producing less than 50 barrels per day. It is one of two of the southern most well in Goodrich's (formerly Devon's) acreage, the other being in West Felicana I believe. One of the execs said the other day that they would probably jump down to their Weyerhauser acreage for their first well. I think-and correct me if I'm wrong-that that acreage is in the southern part of their recently acquired acreage. It appears to me that after their success in the northern part of the play that they want to prove up the entire acreage. The Fluker well is also one of two wells drilled in the eastern portion of the play along with the Thomas well in Kentwood, although more easterly well locations had been planned. My question is, what would be the feasibility of re-fracing the Soterra well with the new formula which includes the clay stabilizing component? From an economic perspective is it better to just let a bad well flow, or, would it be a good gamble to try the formula on it and see if the output can be easily doubled or tripled. Goodrich and Encana's laterals are longer but as a percentage of frac stages/lateral length the Soterra is not that far behind. The only other notable difference that I have found is that Goodrich-and possibly Encana- are not drilling through the rubble zone like Devon apparently did on the Soterra. It seems to me that landing above the rubble zone is the smart move in terms of drilling costs and probably doesn't interfere with the frac job, since the whole purpose of the frac job is to turn the whole formation into a "rubble zone." Still, Devon was in the bottom part of the formation in the Soterra, which seems to be where these guys think the pay dirt is. If Goodrich did re-frac and measurably improve the well, it would prove up both a very southern and very eastern part of the play, and I guess that would have to be accounted for in the economics of the decision, mostly in terms of shareholder giddiness about this rather large purchase with just a few wells with great IPs. But since management owns 30% of the stock, maybe they are not worried about the other shareholders, and the decision would strictly be based cost of re-completion versus increased output. Any thoughts? Information taken from Goodrich's most recent presentation.

http://www.goodrichpetroleum.com/presentations/MgmtCurrent.pdf  Page 13.

Go back to Taco Bell and secure a job as a food server this time. Did I mention the word secure?

Tangihopefull:

Cheap shot hopefully has it wrong. Maybe you can go back and buy the Taco Bell and leave it in your grandkids trust "fun".

I have never heard of a horizontal completion being re-fracked and can't imagine how it would be done economically.  Does anyone know of an instance where a horizontal wellbore was re-fracked?

Skip:

They have re-frac wells in Texas I know. I have seen the before and after data on some Eagle Ford wells, but am too busy right now to go look for it. You should be able to find such data via internet search. It is fairly available.

Basically, 1st generation weaker fracs that were re-stimulated with better technology and proppant quantity. Kinda what Tangihopefull is thinking. Not sure if it would be what GDP wants to do at this time or just start with a clean slate and drill their own from start to finish.

The latest acreage package for sale on Kirks site shows 2 new wells located in the downdip deeper portion of the play to be drilled Q4 by GDP so looks like they gonna drill some new wells.

~ ~ John

Other than running a new casing string from toe to surface and re-perforating I can't figure how the pumping pressure could be isolated to each frac stage.  This would also require a casing of very small diameter.  An initial stimulation doesn't have to deal with this as the casing is intact from heel to toe until each stage is fraced and then isolated by plug.  If possible this would still cost more than 50% of the original cost to drill and complete.  As far as I know pumping equipment has limitations and is inadequate for pumping all the stages and perf clusters in a lateral simultaneously.  I've done Internet searches and haven't found any examples of re-fraced horizontal laterals. 

Thanks guys. Skip. I see what you mean. It would be kind of an expensive experiment if they have to do all that you mentioned. I just thought that since the rock was already cracked extensively but just clogged with clay they could just fill up the entire lateral with couple of million gallons of fluid, sand, and clay stabilizer and push the clay back and stabilize it with the same pressure they used initially. Obviously I'm thinking too simplistically here. John Parker. I'll check into what you suggested. And yes, it would be nice to buy the place and make the manager do the toilets for awhile. :)  Cheap Shot. I was actually given the position of server one time. I just couldn't remember to ask, "Would you like hot or mild sauce with that." :) Thanks again guys.

Hot sauce, the mild is too wimpy...

RSS

© 2020   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service