The Bullish Case for Natural Gas
by: Todd Sullivan August 10, 2009
I received the following email from a reader in the natural gas industry ("http://seekingalpha.com/symbol/ung"UNG). He asked to remain anonymous due to his position (of course I oblige) and I received permission to repost his comments. Being long UNG, I found his commentary backs my bullish stance on the commodity.

The reader says...
.....read the XTO and EOG and RRC and FST and CHK conference calls.. Those guys are some of the best in the business and I haven’t seen them this bullish in years. There are good discussions about why nat gas production is about to fall off the cliff in Q4 and that all the focus on the storage numbers each week is irrelevant.

EIA published its last production report and it showed a 0.8% DECLINE in production in May even though production in Louisiana and Oklahoma grew. It is called the EIA-914 monthly natural gas report. Big decline curves in Texas combined with the drop in rigs is finally showing up in the numbers. But I have been in this business 25 years and know”it doesn’t matter until it matters”.. And since 90% of “investors” are really just day/swing traders, none of those guys are paying any attention to what is really going on..

Things you will hear on the calls..
EOG is completely UNHEDGED for 2010.
CHK took OFF hedges for the back half of 2010.
XTO is 40% hedged at $10 mcfe and waiting to put more on.
FST is seeing production declines in the Rockies.
EOG and CHK have internal models that are predicting 2-5 BCF declines by next year.
ECA and CHK are starting to shut in production.
Basically it comes down to big decline curves in Texas more than offsetting the ramp in production in the Marcellus and Haynesville and the hurricane damaged production in the Gulf versus the weather (el nino) versus industrial production usage returning

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been in the industry for many years and have seen all the models thru my work on both the producer, midstream, and downstream marketing and trading side. While I agree that there will be a big falloff from some of the Texas "Barnett Shale" deliverabilities, plus some of the recent successes in the Fayetteville and Woodford plays, the more conventional plays have depletion rates in the 3-10% range. We will also see a much more open market for LNG deliveries to the U.S. than in the past. While the impact might be less than what some predict, at a minimum, it will tend to put a damper on "peak prices" during high demand - that's assuming the continued development of salt dome storage to "bank" this gas during offpeak European demand.

That being said, I am of the belief that once the full pipeline infrastructure is in place, it will be very easy for CHK, EOG and other big shale players to respond with the drillbit, thus putting an abrupt halt to any long-term rally on natural gas prices - more likely, as forward (futures) prices 1-2 years out show any rise above the $6-7 range, it's difficult for me to believe that these companies won't "leg in" to new hedges in 2010 forward; then, they'll drill up what they need to produce based on a budgeted ROR. Since these shale plays tend to lend themselves to more of a predictable, manufacturing-type process, the companies will "pick their spots" on forward hedging and produce enough to keep their shareholders happy. The only issue for most of these players thru 2010-2011 are expiring leases, and the unknown as to what lease renewals will cost. I would assume that we'll see a lot of vertical or single-leg horizontal completions in order to minimize initial costs to HBP the acreage; then, in 2011 forward, they'll manage the supply/demand equation nationwide - that's assuming that they're smart - it's amazing how "bullish" large producers tend to get when there is any positive news on the market front - to "not hedge" is a big gamble, and some companies have paid a heavy price for that recently.......some of the largest in the business, in fact.

Absent an absolutely huge economic turnaround worldwide, plus some political "hands off" on the O&G taxation issue and/or incentives for NG use under this new "green economy", I remain at best "cautiously optimistic" for 2011 forward, but pretty bearish for the next 18 months - I hope I'm dead wrong!!
I would assume if they aren't hedging then maybe that's a good sign of things to come. If they were to hedge right now is there any idea as to what that might be?
A company's hedge activity will usually show up in the quarterly and annual financial disclosures to shareholders - a large part of their overall forward-looking valuation nowadays alongside their reserve estimates.

Just because they aren't hedging now does not mean that they won't be as soon as there is a reasonable price improvement.
Ah, I see.....thanks. I was taking the non hedging talk as a real positive but I guess it can change in a blink of an eye. Also, I wonder if it's somewhat political in the sense that it can be a mind game in order to get the best results for one's own company.
I hope your wrong too, but I too am bearish. People have forgoten what it was like in the 80's when low prices and surplus supply triggered mass shut ins.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service