With so many vertical wells being drilled, we need to pay attention to what paying quantity requirements entail.

Views: 126

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One unscrupulous operator drilled a well in DeSoto P. and told the wireline co. to get him a few cubic feet so he could hold the lease. He did just that and shut the useless well in. This is common practice, especially by these small time crooks who plan on selling out as soon as they can. "Paying quantities" is a joke and needs to be changed immediately.
This is a situation that can be addressed in your lease. Define paying quanities.
When you are subject to an existing lease, what is the criteria that is used?

Does it need to be a % of the cost of the well over a specifice time period?

Are there some basic guidelines? Or is it only established by case law?
not guidelines i'm aware of....Maybe KB can find some case law.

However,
If the well is shut in, rentals would be due to maintain a lease past the primary.
In the case of old wells just making it, might have to go to court, I have heard of wells making a barrel a day holding leases.
1 barrel a day nets you about $37 after royalty (1/8) and severance taxes. Most folks would tell you it cost about $5-10 a barrel to operate. At small volumes, mayber more/maybe less. But paying quantities means the well is profitable I would guess. And I can't imagine this issue hasn't been in court a few hundred times. But HBP can be continued with very very small production volumes.

Now, the wireline approach, that's a pretty easy one to get thrown out.
One thing you can add to your Exhibit A is a sentence that sets a minimum monthly royalty payment. That can be negotiated with the Lessor.
KB,

I know from personal experience. I have 2 acres hbp that I get about $25 a year on (when I am lucky). But it is a Cotton Valley well. I know these are less expensive to drill.

I just wondered if the cost of the well plays into the consideration of what paying quantities must be. If so, maybe I could maybe expect $50 per year to hold a bad HS well.
Most operators would not operate a well unless it was making some profit. And KB, before you jump onme, i said most. There are some who will hold onto a well that is losing money each monh because they hope to further develop the leasehold, rework the well, etc....

But....now it seems that holding on to the leasehold may be advantageous if it includes the HA shale rights.

All that being said, a reasonable operator is going to try to make a profit.
I agree, They best option for a landowner who feels that they are being HBP by a marginal well, would be trying to prove that the operator is not developing the leasehold. This is somthing that would most likely go to court.
Here is what Chesapeake agreed to in my OGML but it still does not mean that I would be released from the OGML without a lawsuit.

"17. That production in paying quantities shall be defined as production sufficient enough to pay for all costs associated with operating and upkeep of the well including servicing, reworking, pipeline fees, maintenance and repair."
Is this the entire clause?

My first take is "over what period of time"

Can they take the past few years of income and expenses? or is it by quarters?, months?
Agree with Baron. That clause still leaves a lot to be argued about. What it does, though, is define what items should be included and not included. operating expenses, maintenance expenses, etc. are included but drilling costs are not.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service