does anyone know if a law was passed and when?
years ago when you sold land and did not put anything in it about
minerals that you kept them, and then when (if any) if a law was passed that if you did not retain them when you sold land or put in the papers
that you give them, it automatically went with the buyer. Does anyone
know when that law went in? Someone told me that there was a law
that went in effect- does anyone know about this or what year?

Views: 48

Replies to This Discussion

A landman told me that if you kept the mineral rights
when you sold land they would automatically revert
back to the landowner in ten years if you did not keep
production going during sometime during that ten years.
I do not know if that is actually a fact. Most states have their civil code on line where you could read the actual law on mineral rights. TCB
I heard that too!
1. Under Louisiana law, ownership of minerals on real property cannot be held as an estate separate from the land, but the right to enter the land and extract minerals can be held separately in the form of a mineral servitude. Frost-Johnson Lumber Co. v. Salling's Heirs, 91 So. 207, 243-245 (La. 1920); La. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 31:21 (West 2000). Under Louisiana law, rights of servitude ordinarily prescribe (i.e., revert to the landowner) if not used for a period of ten years. Frost-Johnson Lumber, 91 So. at 243-245; La. Rev. Stat. Ann § 31:27 (West 2000).

this is from a Supreme court case http://www.usdoj.gov/osg/briefs/2002/0responses/2001-1799.resp.html
I understand the 10 yr- no production--but i am unclear about the
mandatory paperwork to retain producing minerals prior to
1975-- is it like now- that in order to keep you have to retain your
minerals in your paperwork--or prior to 1975 if you did not mention
minerals in your paperwork then if you sold, you still kept your mineral
ownership---is that the way it was? i was told that at one time in the 70's
you kept unless you put "in" the paperwork that you retained, unlike now
if you don't- you lose them (i hope this question makes sense!)
There is exact wording that you have your attorney put in the deed just after the legal description of the land that you are keeping 100% or whatever percentage you want of the mineral rights. If you want a sample of such wording I can give you what we used once. TCB
thank you for that info- i would appreciate an example- and good luck to you!
Here is the wording added after the legal description on the deed "Excepting and reserving unto the vendor herein one-half of my one-half mineral interest in and to the above four the purpose of developing oil or gas."

Of course, an attorney would write what you wanted in your case i.e. 100% interest vs one-half as in the wording above. TCB
I would appreciate a sample of such wording-and thanks tcb--

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service