I'm trying to get input from those more knowlegable than I on how these issues should be addressed in a lease from the landowner's perspective. Also posted this question in the East Texas group.

(i) If the well is classified as an oil well under the Rules and Regulations of the Railroad Commission then in effect, the maximum size of the production unit shall be ________ acres if the well is producing from formations less than________ feet beneath the surface, and ________ acres if the well is producing from formations below ______ feet beneath the surface.
(ii) If the well is classified as a gas well under the Rules and Regulations of the Railroad Commission of Texas then in effect, the maximum size of the production unit shall be____________ acres if the well is producing from formations less than _________feet beneath the surface, and ______________ acres if the well is producing from formations below ____________feet beneath the surface.
(iii) If the well is classified as a horizontal well (whether oil or gas) under the Rules and Regulations of the Railroad Commission then in effect, then the maximum size of the production unit shall be determined by the following formula: 80 + .08126 X A, where A = the length of the horizontal lateral component of the drainhole of the well.

Tags: pooling, production, unit

Views: 23

Replies to This Discussion

Most of the answers to your questions are unknow to me, but I do think a gas unit, is around 650 acres, and I think a oil is much less, but I don't know how much, maybe as little as 50 acres. I'll wait to see who answers these question for you, and we'll both know.
I hope this is not too late but here are the industry standards for your questions. Do not sign a lease with blanks in it either.

Oil well generally produce on 40 acre units
Gas wells can very between 80 acres and 640 acres all with (10% tolerance so not to leave small partial tracts out when pooling.

You as the lessor can limit the unit size for a gas well even as to certain depths. If you have a small tract you benefit more from a smaller unit (ex: 40 acres in a 640 acre unit is 6.25% of the unit...this would be multiplied by your royalty in the lease...if 25% your royalty would be about 1.5% of all the production from the unit) If you have a smaller unit (40 acres in a 160 acre is 25% of the unit...if 25% your royalty would be about 6.25%).

If you own larger tracts, larger units simply means the lessee can hold more acreage with less wells but that does not mean they will drill less.

The depth and size is your call, however shale plays call for horizontal drilling and the O&G companies require the space to make the long laterals to make the well economic so 640 acres are generally the rule of thumb. I would not allow for much more. Shallow vertical wells like cotton valley wells are generally drilled on 640 acres but they can drill multiple wells in large tracts and although you may get a smaller piece of the production if they drill more wells then you get a chance at more production.

I hope some of this helps.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service