Caddo Parish citizens insides Shreveport city limits

I no longer live in Shreveport but have many friends and relatives that do, I wanted to ask the city citizens how they feel about the city officials periodically seeking taxpayer provided pay increases, like the one they have on the table now for police and eventually firemen, when the city officials gave away somewhere between $70-78 million dollars worth of mineral leases in the recent past. According to the Shreveport Times, the city leased about 2600 acres for $1.00 per acre and even if they we unaware of the Hayneville Shale at that time, the common everyday going lease was at least $100.00 an acre and that amount of land probably could have fetched $200-300 per acre even then.

Do the city residents feel that it is time for their elected officials to be more accountable on these matters and find ways to use city land and resources that have money producing potential more wisely so that the city can help pay it's own way instead of always turning to special elections and seeking MORE tax funds from citizens. Also, what about the royalties that should come from 2600 acres, or were those given away also? Has any city citizens approached city officials or state agencies that have oversite on these matters to seek an investigation into what went on the the previous city administration on these matters?

Views: 75

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do Tax payers in the City have anyway of knowing the exact physical locations of where the city has/will lease? I think we should know.
Let me say that if I still lived in the city limits, I would not be opposed to higher pay for first responders, police or firemen. I have friends that serve the city well in those capacities, but, in the past, it seems like it has just been TOO easy for city officials to make irresponisble decisions like the land lease and then later just casually request that tax payers make up for their ineptness. I think the citizens, police and firemen and other city employees deserve better than that and city officials need to be told that. Also, where were the array of city lawyers when this land give away took place?
KB, I work, shop, attend church and other activities in Shreveport and I contribute to various fund raisers and community organizations that serve the public and the needy and I am thankful to be able to do that. I have a concern for the citizens, which I used to be one of, because I can look around the areas that need help so badly, Allendale, Cedar Grove, Caddo Heights, Martin Luther King area, and the fringes of downtown, and I can see hundreds of ways that a huge lease bonus could help these areas. I think it is a shame and a travesty that the city wasted an opportunity to get $260,000.00 (2600 @ $100.00 p/acre) much less $78,000,000.00 (2600 @ $30,212.00-amount Caddo Parish got).
Now that we have individually seen what all is involved with schemes and tricks and falsehoods that some land persuers use, it makes one wonder if someone inside the administration had some HELP making these decisions, with the promise of personal self prosperity later down the road. You know, "sell out the citizens, they won't think anything about it and we'll feather your nest later, after the dust settles". I don't know that something like that happened, but for this big of a mistake, it makes one wonder.
It may be too late to change the lease bonus, but it's not too late for the citizens to take a proactive stand and expect better results from the royalties, because after all, the royalties on 2600 acres should be where the big money really is, unless the give away deal included little or no royalty rights.
How can we find out? Seems like some of these geeks would already have found out if it was available...I agree that some city employees deserve better pay...how to make them more accountable?
What would make me nervous would be if the O&G companies came forward and volunteered to pay for it!
Imagine if they ever needed a ruling in their favor on environmental issues that wouldn't necessarily be good for the residents!
Looks like the State of Louisiana has a propaganda machine getting cranked-up to educate the landowners about the O&G business (and to stop any lawsuits).

http://www.theind.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&am...

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service