Expert: James H. McConnell, CPL
Date: 8/2/2008
Subject: Haynesville Shale play in DeSoto Parish,LA

Question
Mr. McConnell, a couple of years ago, our family leased our property in Desoto Parish,LA (Section 13, T14N-R13W) to Winchester Production (now EXCO Resources). The leases and bonuses were fair for the time and wells are producing nicely (we like the "mailbox money"). I realize we are already locked in on the lease we have as it is held by production, but I'm wondering what the Haynesville shale will do for production. In your opinion, will it affect production at all? Can vertical wells be re-completed as horizontal wells? Is this feasible for a company to do so? How does EXCO shape up with the big companies like Cheasapeake? Also, the horizontal wells seem to be very expensive to drill but the possible production seems to be worth it, but their depths are about 10,000 to 11,000 ft. much the same as the vertical wells there already. How much more production can be accomplished from a horizontal? Is the increased production from the increased surface area from the lateral? By the way,not too far from our property there is land owned by someone with your last name. Any relations? Thanks for your help responding to my rambling post, Cannie

Answer
You have read a lot of information, but you don't really get the overall picture yet. The Haynesville shale in 14n-13W is probably 11000-12000 feet. When they drill a horizontal well they add a lateral of about 4000-6000 feet, making total depth around 15,000 to 17,000 feet.

The wells cost about $6.5mm to drill and complete and they should average 6-6.5 BCF per well. The completions from the horizontal wells are from 6.5mmcfd to 18.5mmcfd. At $10.00 per mcf that's $60-65mm revenue per well or close to $600mm per unit. Yeah, it will affect the production in the unit. If you like those Cotton Valley wells, you will love the Haynesville wells.

The Haynesville Shale has porosity but no permeability, so a vertical well will do very little after initial completion. They are drilling vertical wells to test the rock, because this is a whole new ball game and they are learning while drilling. Once they have the data they need to understand the reservoir rock under their lease block and can plan the multi stage frac jobs accordingly, they will commence their drilling program in earnest. As of now, they are looking at 8 wells per unit or 80 acre spacing. This can change over time and experience. As far as reentering a vertical wellbore and drilling a horizontal leg, they will do that. They will drill several laterals at one time from the same pad and frac them at the same time to consolidate costs.

For the first time in my career, this business has thirty to forty years of work laid out for itself in developing these shale plays. They will run these things with real efficiency.

McConnell is the 26th most common name in America. I have family in Shreveport and Red River Parish.

Buck

Views: 207

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great another name called! A "follower". That's fine, I've been called worse. As for this brew ha ha, I will "follow" anyone on this site that provides me with good factual info concerning the shale play. Including yourself. I have not read Jim Mc's supposed sexist comments, nor do I choose to. It just is not good factual info for the shale. No value to me. I think the problem some people have with you is that you seem to be obligated to attack those you do not agree with. Then you proceed to "expose" them for who they are. I think I can speak for the majority of GHS fans who would collectively say WHO CARES!?! So remember, provide me with factual, no nonsense info and I too will be a "follower". By the way, I've worked for a natural gas company for almost 25 years. Does that make me an O&G? Perhaps you can "exspose" me.
With that kind of experience , you should be a leader, not a follower.
I probably have more friends in the O&G field then most everyone here. My problem is with a certain aspect of the industry.
If you stand in my neighborhood ready to profit at the expense of my neighborhood, get ready for it.

I spend entirely too much time on this site and it has really started to show in the last month or so. Many of the O&G types that I care for have left or are in the process of leaving. Just a last ditch effort I guess on my part.I shouldn't have taken the jab at you.Dont even know you! Childish habit I got about defending myself when I feel threatened.Today caught me off guard and I am sorry that any of this happened.I just know ShaleGeo didn't deserve being treated in that manner.He has been here since day 1. Lot longer then most of the naysayers in this dialogue. Like I said, Sorry about the jab. Have a good one !
Mr. McConnell knows O&G, after being in it for 35 years, he brings a wealth of knowledge to the table. He has taken a lot of his time to answer questions for many on this site. I have bought minerals for others before, it is not something I like to do because it is frustrating. You call 1000 people and 999 answer not no but hell no.
I understand your commitment to MAC. Just please dont expect me to swallow it. Rosebud accomplished what she has been after.As for learning anything from MAC...............Cant think off hand what about my hundreds of hours on line studying the facts could be replaced by concerning him or his advise.You are a bigger MAC butt sniffer than anybody else on this site. I wouldn't have respected you if you wouldn't have come to his defense.
The comment I made reference to had absolutely nothing to do with the woman starting her own business. That dialog has been deleted as well.But this is a mute point as well.

You as an adult must choose the path that you take and the things that you believe.That is up to you and you alone.You have decided and that is fine.Please dont confuse fact with faint tho! All you need to do is show me were I said something dishonest. I am not talking about mean or ugly..........dishonest! Until you do, you are only feeding your ignorance as too why this conversation is taking place.You accuse me of lashing out at CPL Jim , which according to your own heated and frayed barrage , is on this site under another name!Why is he under an assumed name! Someone in the yuba yuba section please speak up. Not because mean ole snake chased him off but because of his true nature. The one that sticks his head in and out like a turtle when thunder claps.

As long as there are peckerwoods out there that are a threat, to the ignorant of my community ,and others like mine , receiving praise from his acolytes I will continue to shoot that crap down. You dont have to like it , just dont let it land on your head , thats all.When you assume someone is righteous , just because he may have thrown you a bone or two , don't expect the people that can read and understand for themselves to praise him as well.

My method sure could use some sprucing up. I will and have been the first to admit it on numerous occassions.But the outcome is the same. The ones that can be reached will be. They dont have to agree with me as long as they get that gut feeling that makes them look for themselves. Your outburst towards me against outbursts......HUH? Oh well , back on subject. You and Rosebud have helped draw attention to this issue without even knowing it and for that I thank you. Because of this dialogue , people will look back and wonder what we are talking about and find out for themselves what is happening.

Even tho CPLJIM may or may not be able to walk on water in your eyes , he hasn't been on this site very long at all. He isn't one of the many that laid the foundation work for this site, that are no longer here because of the direction this site is now leaning. Go back to page one of this site and count for yourselves. Dont take my word for it, look for yourselves.In the end , all that matters is still in place. Right is right and wrong is wrong, no matter the delivery.

As for Rosebud....... She is the one that placed ugly comments about me on mutual friends comment walls , not I. Lets keep the facts straight. Rosebuds problem with me seems to be similar to the problem that you have with me as well. I refuse to conform. I will not give ground with what is right in my eyes. Whether I am right or wrong I will be judged by a much higher power then the CPL love children of this site. Thank goodness for that.

As for my heart towards the community on this board , I may be becoming a product of my environment! I defend the first pro that actually admitted it openly (JAY) and look what it got me.The people that matter to me still matter and know me for who I am and what I believe.They don't always agree with me on my methods either. Can't blame them for that. One thing is clear , when its on the line I am there! Sometimes it takes moments like these to separate the wheat from the tares.That way you know who you can count on when the going gets tough. Gotta go, football games coming on and I still have to respond to this idiot below us here.
SS,

I can't make out much coherent in what you have said.

Both myself and Rosebud have stated that we have respected what Mr. McConnell has had to say as well as what Jay has had to say.

Evidently according to one of you other posts, you may no longer be leading you Webster group. If that has your temper up, I can completely understand. If you started a group and then don't get to lead it I can understand that your feelings would be hurt. But why lash out at all of us that don't have a dog in your fight.

Why is having respect for the information provided by a professional in the business such a negative to you.

As I have said before, I read his information on all experts back when Haynesville was only a town that I have heard of. Mr. McConnell has provided information on that site long before we were in the shale business.

I have had an interest in the field of minerals since 2000, because I presently receive a small amount in royalties. That interest is how I came across allexperts, tiger droppings and this site.

Some people on this site are more interested in actually learning something instead of the soap opera and bullying.

Just because I disagree with you, does not somehow mean that I don't want the best for the people that are still unleased. I myself still have a small amount of property that is unleased.

I am still negotiating and still hold the opinion that I want the best business deal that I can make. And I am here to try to learn how to make the best deal and to help others with any information that I can share.

I have disagreed with some on this site but I don't see any idiots.

Go scream at the football game, it will accomplish more than what you are presently doing on here. There is not enough time in the day for you to shout at all of us that disagree with you.

I can't understand why you chose to pick a fight with those that are on the same side that you are. We all want the best for our friends and for our community. That sounds like a horrible thing to me.
Mr. Snake,
Please retain your credibility by deleting the diatribes. Being succinct would also help. If you can't, Google Dr. Phil.
-Ann
SS,

I don't understand what the problem is. You used to be one of the folks on here that could make you laugh and make your point. I don't understand all your anger.

I don't understand why you want to make this so personal.
Are you accomplishing what your goal is?

You say that your goal is to help the people of Webster Parish.

How does trying to discredit Mr. McConnell or anyone who appreciates his advice helpful?
SS,

LET'S JUST AGREE TO DISAGREE!

I'll buy you a sweet tea or lemonaid at the bbq.

I don't imbibe, so I can't offer anything stronger.

Obviously we both have very strong feelings on the matter and it doesn't seem like we will see eye to eye on this one. But neither of us are accomplishing anything by continuing to fling comments on this issue.
Neither do I Parker , so the second round is on me.
Parker,
I have been on this earth for 30 years. I can say, I have never heard the word imbibe. Of course I ran around with people who didn't always make it through high school and a GED meant you where the brains of the outfit.
Dorcheated,

30 years?

I thought only us girls lied about our age.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service