If you think we are in a mess now, what do you think is going to happen when people start defaulting on their non-secured debt? If you think some corporations are over-leveraged, what about the average American? If people have stopped paying their Mortgages, how many people are going to stop paying their credit cards?

Views: 83

Replies to This Discussion

Dorcheated I want to talk to you cause you are a bit level headed and don't claim to be an expert with your education. The questions are why do you need to be in some 4 point average to be granted the chance to go into medical school? Why do people with toilet paper hanging out their butt be chosen over others with great common since? I have found that these great minds cannot come up with a single thought of their own. They look to others to form an opinion. We need more doctors in the rural places but can't get them because of the malpractice insurance premiums. Everyone doesn't need a expert they only need a doctor.
Two Dogs,
I will try my best to answer your questions and thanks for the level headed remark that's the best compliment a man can receive.
First question is tuff but I'll try. I think people are like race horses as they become older they seem to not only get better but they become more consistent. I think if people have good but not great grades they would have a chance to mature somewhat and realize there full potential if they have the money and they are not a distraction let them go and let's see what they can do.
The second one is easy. Because a lot of businesses today believe that a book smart education is what you need to be succesful WRONG! You can't teach leadership from a book you either have it or you don't in order to make a business succesful one has to have people who believe in you and will follow you if you can't make it that far the rest won't succeed. I tell you a quick story, when I was younger I was somewhat embarrassed about the fact that I was a high school drop out. The company I was working for had a Christmas party, one of my bosses friends who was a Doctor who was telling about his trip to Belize he said that Africa was a beautiful country, thinking that he had misspoke I said you mean Central American he looked at me with a stare and said no it's Africa. From that point on I realized my 10th grade education just might be up to snuff.
Dorcheated I like your second answer alott. If you look around and observe your local business owners they are usually not the people that graduated in the top of there classes. Most of the successfull business people were average students of there learning either it be high school, College, med school etc. I have allways wondered why this is so, it could be that your really smart people are just so smart that they understand the risk of starting their own business and they can picture the chances of failure far eaiser than that of us less intelligent people. I have noticed a trend of the elite smart people usually taking very sheltered or protected paths in there correer....Doctors, Proffessors, school Teachers...etc. The people that make the big money Real estate Brokers, small business owners like construction co., Mnfg co, distribution co, franchisers, etc take those huge risk. I think it is a combination of being level headed with more common since then book smart, they have had to work harder all their life cause they were not as gifted as others so thats all they know, also like I said before...maybe not quite smart enough to evaluate all the risk envolved and the high % of failure in starting an independent business. Most of the great business people I am friends with are hard headed in a way were they just want give up....keep trying and trying untill they make it work.
Jim,
Great choice of songs....but what are you doing in a Karoke bar.
You should be at Gilley's.
Good Morning Bill,
Thank you. I hope someday to open my own business it is a gamble.
Morning .....You will do it one day just make sure you do your home work first and know the business that you choose better than the next guy.
Hey there Dorcheated....how's it going? Got that bottle of sake for you!
Hey Girl,
It's going good. If I was fishing in Japan it would it would be great! The Louisiana National is sending the 2-108 Calvary for culteral deveristy training in Japan in January. I might just send my guy by to pick that sake up.
I may be back in the States in January...but let me know where he'll be and I'll mail it to his hotel. Stay well!!!
GREAT question, Parker!! I do not think we've seen anything yet. It took forever for them to admit that the US is in a recession. By the time, that's fully discussed and analyzed, we'll probably be in another depression.

I remember the time when I had about 6 credit cards at the same time (one of which was a Japanese Diners card....no limit on it when I travelled). Got rid of all of them except one. The only reason why I'm keeping that one is for car rentals during travel. I really didn't keep track of what I was spending until I got rid of those cards. I just bought a new IMAC....and boy, am I glad that I paid for it in cash. No stress hanging over my head. Actually, I'm renting an apartment now, so I'm fortunate in that I'm not under the weight of a huge mortgage. Anyway, I am looking forward to the day I can pay for my proposed country home in cash. And NOPE...not counting on our gas money for that. As someone so eloquently wrote, that money is just the gravy.

One of the great things about living here in Japan is that it has taught me credit isn't the "save all" it's cracked up to be. This is a cash-based society...and it isn't out of the ordinary for people to carry thousands of dollars around in their wallets and purses. Also, we don't have the personal checking system like in the States and there are still places that will not accept travelers checks. Lots of local stores in my city still do not accept credit cards. We're paid our salaries once a month and the banks close at 3:00pm every day. Not a bad way of life...

One more important thing that I am learning is how necessary it is for me to start growing my own food. You can have all the credit cards in the world but it doesn't mean much if you can not feed yourself. There are so many community plots where people farm together in the middle of our city. Kind of nice driving past rice fields located next to major department stores. Time for me to get my hands dirty in the compost I guess...? Stay well everyone.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service