I have a cousin who's a geologist who values royalties by their percentage of top bonus payments in an area. He says, for example, if bonus payments top out at $16,000/acre and royalties are 25%, then the value of that acre (or royalty) is $4,000 (plus its surface value.)

I'm a commercial appraiser, and am trained to value by income: (amt of production x gas price)/discounted for time.

I also look at cap rates, and at $4,000/acre, one would expect annual income of $400 or $500/acre, which seems very low for a field of this supposed potential.

Any insights?

Tags: royalties, valuation

Views: 46

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's an interesting formula, it hard to say just how accurate it might be because production varies so much on different wells in different areas.
Are you sure???? Something seems very wrong with these figures. In the mail today, I was just offered $10K+ for percentage of royalties/per year on one acre. And, that is way tooo loooow. Then where does JP Morgan get the $40K+ figure from?????
Ammount of product produced times price of product divided by unit size (acres per unit) divided by royalty equals price per acre going to landowner per day. Lets say the well produces 100 barrells of oil a day and the price is $100 per barrell and the unit is 80 acres and you have 1/5 royalty. 100 times $100 equals $10,000 divided by 80 equals $125 divided by 5 equals $25 per acre a day going to the landowner.
TRS, how about ng?
Natural gas is measured in thousands there is a 1000 1000 in a million. So the well does 1 million a day and lets say the unit is 320 acres and the price of gas is $10 per thousand. 1000 times $10 equals 10,000 divided by 320 equals $31.25 divided by 5 equals $6.25 per acre per day to the landowner.
Thanks!

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service