A lot of you folks that are getting the big bucks are looking for ways to reduce the tremendous tax burden confronting you. Many may have kids or grandkids that may be wanting to go to law school and you may not feel comfortable sending them off to Baton Rouge or New Orleans for their schooling. Louisiana College, located in Pineville, is a very highly rated Christian school. It is a school that the professors know all the students by name and not number. They don't have classes with 300 students, so everyone knows everyone. Their pre med students have like a 98% chance of being accepted into medical school. School districts across the country fight to get the students from the education department. The graduates in the nursing department are close to 100% in passing the nursing exam. The professors will not let you fail. I know because I am a graduate of LC. I was not a typical LC student, I have always been a bad boy. I went to NSU back in 1968 for the fall term, I decided that fast cars and women were what I wanted and left before the end of classes. I got a "B" in orientation because that class ended at mid term, I got a "D" in badmitten because I think they didn't want to fail someone in that class, everything else was an "F". Twenty years passed and I was hurt working on the railroad, the doctors told me that if I wanted to be in a wheelchair, to keep jumping on the boxcars. I asked the doctors what else I could do and they told me to go back to school. I did and enrolled at NSU on the England Air Force branch in Alexandria. Classes were small, 15 to 20 students, for the night classes. I got use to everyone knowing each other, and most being Airman or older folks. I finally had to go to main campus in Natchitoches because the courses needed were not being offered on the base. I hated the packed classrooms and being a number so I transfered to Louisiana College. We had an unexpected child at this time, so I didn't think I could do the law school thing, my next oldest was 7 years older. I wondered what I could do with all the courses that I had taken in pre-law. I decided to become a social studies teacher. About 2 weeks into my transfer to LC this little red head lady came up to me and said, "You know that you want get a job in the field that you are going into" I asked why,? That I thought they needed teachers, she said "Go ask them" I did and the Rapides Parish fellow that did most of the hiring and firing told me "They saved those jobs for the old coaches". The red head professor had not told me her name but pointed to the location of her office and told me to come see her, if I had a negative response from the school board. When I saw that I wouldn't get a job in what I was going into I went to her office and told her what I had learned, she extended her hand and introduced herself as the head of special education at LC. She told me that I didn't look like the average LC student, I replied that she might be right. She talked about kids that were labled as disipline problems and asked me if I was a bad kid. I said that had always been that way. She said that it takes one to know one. She told me that she could train me in a field that I would be able to go anywhere in the country and get a job. I took her up on her offer and she took this misfit under her wing and personally trained me to be a behavior disorder teacher. I lasted 3 years but I could not afford to bring my kids to the movies on the weekend. I left teaching to become a Landman. Louisiana College gave this old bad boy the tools to go out and make a living in many different fields and I salute them for that. This is the way they work for all students.

Louisiana College is going to have a law school but they need funds from people like you folks. Do you want to send your kids and grandkids off to the big city? Would you like an alternative of a small town with great police protection, and a Christian enviorment. Look into Louisiana College and make your tax free donations to them.

Views: 67

Replies to This Discussion

I would love to see Sabine Parish have a tutoring center for K thru 12 grades - sponsored by O&G companies and donations - taught by college students and teachers (a paid position) - something like this could help a multitude of children to stay on track and graduate and put some gas money in the pockets of college students - (I know there are many parents that can not help their children with home work - subjects are taught so differently now) Just a wish list item!
Retrofitting the building and bringing it up to code will be expensive but doable. The 80,000 square foot addition seems like pie in the sky.
Skip the 80,000 sq ft expansion may be just a drop in the bucket to the Southern Baptist Convention.
TD,P. I do business in this building multiple times a week. Look it up on Google Earth. There is no room for an 80,000 sq. ft. addition to the main building. It's ten stories of approximateley 80,000 existing sq. ft.
the only other possibility for an expansion of that size is on the parking garage. Considering the age of that structure, it is highly unlikely that it is designed and constructed to allow for a vertical 80,000 ft. addition. Such was never intended or engineered for. The Southern Baptist Convention can not turn back the clock and change the design and construction of the existing structure. I'd like to see the actual design for the 80,000 ft. expansion.
Skip, you never know what the power of the Great One can do. I would say that he can do what he wants, 80,000 sq ft ain't much.
Are you offering odds, TD,P? LOL!
Enginneers and Architechs have a saying...

Anything is possible with enough money!
I will be in the building in a few minutes. I go there quite often. There are only three small elevators and even if they worked properly, which they don't, they could not accommodate the number of passengers that will be required when the school is up and running if they indeed have the enrollment they envision. The current tenants have sufficient problems with them now and the building is maybe 25 or 30% occupied.
I know those elevators... they are scarey.
This a great idea! One of the most enjoyable things I've ever done is to set up partial college funds for our 5 grandkids (ages 12-6) The gift will way out live me and I hope those grandkids will pass on the story of how I helped send them to college. I am not really their biograndfather - but I've been their parent's stepfather for over 30 years.

We did not have much money to help their parents when they were young, and this is what my wife and I can do for the future. Plus, college costs a LOT more now and the jobs students can get don't pay that much more.

I'm toying with the idea of putting a little extra aside for those who study a field I think has great promise in the future. Plus, do I really want to fund a degree in "Liberal Arts"? Suppose what they say about "Grandpa would roll over in his grave" could be true??

NOTE: this is coming from a former "General Studies" major who learned his lesson :)

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service