My neighbor just signed and got her bonus check. She is quite elderly and has no children. She asked if I would be interested in buying her royalties from her. She has one acre of land in T16-R14-S26 and there is no well drilled yet. Nothing to go by as far as coming up with some kind of what to offer her. Just speculation I guess. How would this transaction work and how to proceed? Any help would be appreciated.
J.J. Jones

Views: 26

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The transaction is a simple royalty deed. She would keep her minerals, but would be forgoing the royalties if any.
J. J.:

What I would suggest doing is find out what the standard payments have been for buying royalty in your township. This could be relatively easily done if you know of someone who owns land nearby that has had an unsolicited offer to buy royalty, or someone who has leased and then had the lessee or one of their associates attempt to buy royalty. I would not advocate speaking to a royalty buyer near you directly, as I am sure that the buyer would want to find out who this lady is so that he can buy her royalty, and then pester her to death. Or maybe even worse, you might end up with the royalty buyer pestering everyone else around you to death while he tries to figure it out.

If you want to be fair to her, I would then take that number and had about 25% - 33% to it. Field-level royalty buyers almost always add their "margin" prior to turning it to the "accumulators" and "investment pools", by a combination of markup and/or holdback.

Royalty deeds are specialized instruments, but there is usually a "cookie-cutter" form available in the courthouse records. Use this form as a template to style your instrument. If you need help filling in the blanks, leave a comment on my page.

If you want to be fiar to herm
JJ, Hello Cuz. Was just looking over your site and thought I would comment on Dion's advice. She seems to be honest, fair minded person and very knowledgeble person.
Neighbors offer looks like good opportunity for you and her. Let us know outcome. Maybe you already did post something about it as I have not read all your postings yet.

Glad to meet you and will correspond on your personal e-mail site soon.

aubrey

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service