150 miles of 42" pipeline installed and flowing in 1.5 years ?

Did anyone else read the story in The Times about three weeks ago where they wrote about the 150 miles of 42" WSP that will run from W Desota Parish to a hub network in Delhi La. ? They said that it will be online and flowing in late 2009 or so. They still need to draw the plans , buy ROW , buy and manufacture the pipe , let contracts then install this much 42" pipe with open cut , road bores , bridges and many many problems and change orders. I have been around Civil Engineering for 32 years and I cant see this all taking place by late 2009 if I read it correctly. With them being at point zero in the chain of events that must take place to begin this pipeline project I just cant see this project being completed in that timeline. Even if they hired 5 or 6 contractors it will take a minimum of 3 years to finish a project that big even if they had it designed with ROW purchased , pipe ordered , etc. I was told that the reason that they said late 2009 was due to the fact that some have been told if they dont hurry up and sign you will slow the project down and delay your royalties. If someone knew that it would be 4-5 years before they start getting there royalty checks some might hold out a while longer before signing ? Maybe this wasnt there intent when saying late 2009 but I just cant see that project being completed for at least 2.5 to 3 years. Any real NG pipeliners out there ? They can roll on with a side boom and excavators plus most gas lines are shallow but late 2009 ? Jed

Views: 230

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If a company has existing ROW and depending on FERC approval, it seems that it could be done in 16 months. These pipelines are bid in spreads (miles of pipe) and with 150 miles of pipe, it would probably go to 5 or 6 contractors each handling a spread. Problems could come with availibity of pipe, weather, and contractors. After all there are at least 2 major pipeline constructions currently in the area.
I read in the shreve times public notice section this past Friday (Aug 15th) that the state is giving notice to landowners who share their right of way that the pipeline is ready to be laid. Legally even if the state owns the right of way, it has to be a matter of public record what the land is being used for. Amazing that to me that the pipeline is already being placed in our area... will run along the northern parishes all the way to Mississippi... still think you're on the fringe in Webster Parish? I don't think so. Patience... wouldn't surprise me to find out that the shale runs all the way thru North Louisiana !
HOUSTON – June 25, 2008 – CenterPoint Energy Gas Transmission Company (CEGT), an indirect, wholly-owned interstate natural gas pipeline subsidiary of CenterPoint Energy, Inc. (NYSE: CNP), announced today the start of a non-binding, 31-day open season to gauge market interest in an additional expansion of its 1.5 Bcf/d, 42 inch Carthage to Perryville (Line CP) pipeline. CEGT has successfully completed the first three phases of Line CP and continues to receive expressions of interest in incremental capacity.

“Natural gas production volumes from the Bossier Sands and Barnett Shale in North and East Texas continue to exceed previous forecasts,” said Cy Zebot, senior vice president and chief commercial officer for CEGT. “As the Haynesville Shale further develops, Line CP is well positioned to expeditiously get these supplies to the marketplace. Assuming adequate expressions of interest are received, we’re prepared to execute binding precedent agreements and seek necessary governmental authorizations in anticipation of placing the first stages of this proposed project in service as early as the winter of 2009.”
Sounds great , I mainly work with streets , drainage , water & sewer , handle gas line construction conflicts and worked coating gas pipe while out of school in the summer "awful job" , This pipeline and the shale play as a whole will be a learning experience for most of us. I spoke with some paving superentendants that are very wary of this timeline too. It's the point that there at right now that has me wondering. They have some row but still have to send survey crews out to do a topo , and the prior research for pre topo work will take many months. After topo they must design/draw up plans then there is usually months of revise and resubmit with engineers comments , etc. After they get this job drawn up they need to stake it , etc. We installed about 12-15 miles of 54" sewer main around S Shreveport La. back in 1979-80. It was an interceptor main that ran through mostly remote areas with some inner city lines and it took 2 years with 3 major contractors working on it. That was just construction time only , all engineering done. but we still had to leave out a couple of small sections due to land owners holding up row in court. They finally settled just as the contracts were finishing up and only delayed us by 3-4 months. I know Im starting to beat a dead horse here but I cant even see the engineering being finished within 9 months to 1 year. I hope Im very wrong , Need NG flowing the sooner the better for marketing/royalties. Thanks to everyone that has commented here. I heard an offer the other day and its true , will be posting it next. Jed
First post here, so I hope I'm not out of line adding to this discussion.

There's a sizable pipeline in the works crossing US Hwy 71, just south of the Arkansas border (maybe 5 miles?), running east/west. I "eyeballed" it and guessed it to be about 48", but did a little research and found that it's 42", and it's to connect Texas to Centerpoint's distribution center in Perryville, LA. The peculiar aspect is that, at least to my eye, it's TWO 42" pipes. As the ROW was being cleared, and sections of pipe laid hither and yon, nothing could be deduced about how many pipes were being installed. But after they connected the pipes, there were two pieces, as long as the eye could see, lying abreast. Certainly they wouldn't connect two exceptionally long lengths, then move one to the end of the other. That's what makes me think it's a dual pipeline.
Boardwalk and Kinder Morgan
I have not read other replies but that may be the 500 mile pipeline that they were talking about and I think its a dual 42". They move on in the gas line business and its a game of usually 7 day a week daylight to dark operation of excavating , welding , coat the weld and backfill. The tunneling and road bores is usually a 24 hr/day operation from start to finish. Jed
Not a dual line from everything that I have seen. Not unusual to weld up long sections as you described, that could have been the road section that you saw. What I really wanted to remark about was the expected completion date of late 2009. I am not an insider regarding permitting and ROW acquisition but consruction often starts before everything is in place, they can obtain some permits and ROW as they go, if an area is problematic thay can skip it and come back later. Also, 150 miles is fairly typical for a pipeline contractor. A single contractor can sit down in the middle and lay both ways, or they could bring in more than one contractor. Pipelining is booming right now and only so many contractors can handle a project of this size so typically it will be one contractor operating multiple spreads for a project this size. 42-inch requires a lot of weld, but I think they could approach one mile a day, weather permitting.
Jed, the following is a comment I posted a couple of weeks ago that summarized new pipeline projects in North Louisiana. The 42" Centerpoint pipeline project referenced in The Times article has already been completed and is in service. The Times article would have been refering to a potential expansion of the Centerpoint pipeline capacity. This can be accomplished primarily with additional compression and some pipeline looping.

"There are existing interstate gas pipelines plus two new 42" pipelines (Centerpoint & Gulf South) were installed within the last year across North Louisiana to the Perryville area which added 3.2 Bcfd (billion cubic feet per day) of new capacity. Two additional 42" pipelines will be in service by mid-2009 further north in Louisiana that will add 3.1 Bcfd of new capacity to move gas into the Perryville area and further east into Mississippi and Alabama. Although all these new pipelines were planned to move gas from the Oklahoma & East Texas areas (including the Barnett & Woodford Shales) to other pipelines in Northeast Louisiana & Mississippi, various parties have said 1.0 - 1.5 Bcfd of the capacity could be utilized to move Haynesville Shale production. This may be sufficient to handle the HS volumes until the end of 2010. By that time additional long haul gas pipeline infrastructure will need to be in place to allow continued growth of the HS. I anticipate 2-3 new gas pipeline projects will be announced before the end of 2008 targeted at the Haynesville Shale."
Sounds Great ! I must have read it wrong , I thought I read a story in The Times where they had to install a 42" pipeline from W Desota Parish 150 miles E to a hub network in Delhi La . It said that they could use some of the lease land already bought for some row but still needed to design the project , draw plans , purchase more row , order and start mfg pipe and install but I may have just glanced over it plus ol jeds eyes aint what they used to be. Really appreciate your comments. I may start another topic with this question but you or others may can answer it here . Is there an average life exspectancy for these wells in the HS ? I just wonder how long a well like these can produce ? It may be that there all different ? I have intrest in some shallow oil wells "1000" + feet up N of Benton La. that were drilled in the 40's and they still keep sipping along. Nothing big but constant. My lawyer is going to have to do a little contract work to allow a Haynesville lease in the same area as the oil lease. Again , Any thoughts on a gas wells longivity ? Jed
Jed, there have estimates of 30 to 50 years for the productive life of HS wells. These are just estimates because there is not much long term experience with shale gas wells.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service