Devon announces 30.7 mmfcd well in San Augustine, TX - Kardell Gas Unit 1H

Huge news from Devon this morning as they have released the IP results of their Kardell Gas Unit 1H well in San Augustine, TX and it came in at a whopping 30.7mmfcd:

Nov. 2 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Devon Energy Corporation (NYSE: DVN) today announced the results of a successful Haynesville Shale well in San Augustine County, Texas. The Kardell Gas Unit 1H achieved an average continuous 24-hour flow rate of approximately 30.7 million cubic feet of natural gas equivalent per day through a 37/64-inch choke. Flowing pressure was 6,824 pounds per square inch.

Here's a link to the full press report:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=67097&p=irol-newsAr...

Here's a link to the W-1 permit for the well:
http://webapps.rrc.state.tx.us/DP/drillDownQueryAction.do?fromPubli...

1 mile East of San Augustine in the T. Quirk Survey.

Things are getting all the more intersesting in E.Texas with each passing day.....

Views: 847

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Call me when they get back to work near Marshall Jefferson Harleton... But I'm happy for everyone that's winning right now!

If only O would get off health care and get on green Natural gas auto's with that bailout that's already been spent.
"The Kardell #1H was drilled on the eastern edge of Crimson’s “Bruin” prospect where it controls approximately 3,000 acres. The Company is currently in the planning stages of several wells in the “Bruin” area that will further evaluate and exploit these multiple formations beginning in early 2010."

Any ideas where the "Bruin" prospect lies?
This is NOT the biggest well in the Haynesville. Most of the wells that are IP'd in Elm Grove/Red River are doing over 20MMcfd at 8400psi or higher. If you were to draw one of the Red River wells down to 6800psi, it would make 40+MMcfd no problem.

Just because a rock has more calcite, does not mean it is more brittle, or harder. You first need to look at the clay types and maturity, this is what makes a shale ductile or brittle IMO.
TEXW6,

Could you explain more please.

I had assumed that these wells were producing as much as 20MMcfd BECAUSE of the high pressure.

Wouldn't opening up the choke lower the pressure and increase flow?

If so, do you know what the choke was on this well?

THANKS
I found it: 37/64" choke at 6,824 psi.

PLEASE TELL ME IF I AM GETTING IT?

Tighter choke = higher pressure and less gas produced

Wider choke = lower pressure and more gas produced
Parker, spot on!!!!

Of course there are other factors such as reservoir damage and pipe erosional velocities that limit how large you can open the choke.
I kept trying to think of it as a garden hose, but confused myself.

It only seems like a garden hose sprays more water when the choke is tightened BECAUSE it has more pressure.
You all have the idea down, but think of it like this. All wells in a given area have similar bottom hole or reservoir pressure. The LOWER the pressure is at surface, the more drawdown you are creating, the more drawdown you create, the higher flow rate or IP.

I turned a well on in Red River the other day that was doing 18MMcfd at over 9000psi. From a volume perspective you think that the 30.7MMcfd well is more, and it is, but the ETX well's rate potential is less because it takes more drawdown to achieve higher flowrates. Get it?
As Tex no doubt knows, that is the reason companies perform a 4-point test or similar to determine the reservoir's flow characteristics.
Could you expand on that 4-point test a little further, Les? Some of us are interested.
Jffree, unfortunately my reservoir engineering days are far in the past so others could probably explain better.

Basically a newly completed well is flow tested at four different rates and the operator determines the bottomhole flowing pressures for each of the four rates. This information plus the shut-in bottomhole pressure are used to calculate the well's absolute openhole flow potential. The AOF's should be directly comparable between wells.

The bottomhole flowing pressures can be calculated from the surface flowing tubing pressure.
So, if I am understanding correctly, the IP reported is not usually what a well will be produced at but, rather, the highest rate achieved during one of those four tests?

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service