Devon is setting 5 1/2" casing in the well.

Views: 9870

Replies to This Discussion

DCM,

I've heard that someone is working Tangi but I don't know who.

Thanks, Joe.  As an owner of property in NE Tangi, I have recieved several inquires and have had several lease offer discussions over the last 10 months.  Just wondering why I have seen the list of parishes/ counties skip over Tangi on occasion, jumping eastward over to Washington Parish, which makes very little sense to me from a geological or business standpoint.

And again, thanks for sharing your in depth experience and knowledge on this site.

DCM

John,

The Devon Lane well is a true test well. Its only purpose is to get information about the formation and the best way to frack it in this area. I have one good source that says that the vertical well maybe plugged and abandoned when they start the Horz. well from that pad.  Once they drill the Beech Grove well then they will move the rig back to the Lane location and drill the lateral from a new well bore. That is on "good" authority.

Yes, you are correct that these wells will say a lot about the area and possible production. I think the industry is watching these wells as closely as we are. I just think you guys are getting ahead of the curve in some of the information you are guessing about.

I saw an 18 wheeler leave the lane site today, a tanker. What that means i do not know.
Could be hauling anything from frac flowback water to produced crude. Did you recognize a name on the tanker trailer?
no, but it was a dark color tanker and tractor.
Joe, is the problem in fracturing these Tuscaloosa Marine wells related to the type proppants being used or is it that the formation itself is so "soft" that the proppant has nothing in the formation firm enough to support a  prop?

John,

I think that is what the Lane well is all about. My information says it is a "true test" well. From that I mean that they are trying to figure out what works best in this formation and this area as far as fracturing is concerned. Its not the same trying to produce oil through a shale formation as opposed to gas from shale - like in the HA. I think they have a lot of information available from the oil wells in the Eagle Ford and hopefully some of  that Knowledge will help in this area. With as many wells being permitted and beginning to drill I think we'll have a pretty good idea what the production characteristics are by early next year.

Thanks for the reply, Joe. I am trying to get a fundamental understanding of what may be a serious fracturing problem for TMS wells, i.e., no frack, no horizontal production. I get a vision of trying to frac and prop a column of putty. To me that would not be successful. Perhaps Haliburton can figure out how to do it.
John,
At a depth of ~ 15000 ft I can assure u that the TMS in not putty. It is solid rock. Each shale play has it's own chemical makeup do to diffierent lithologies. Simply put each one has various percentages of sand, calcium carbonate, clay, etc. Differient types of rock will frac diferiently. It can get very complex. Joe had a very valid point about the Lane well being a "true test". Devon has completed 2 vertical frac stages. They probabliy will not even produce it. They will use the data they gained during the execution of the frac jobs to get educated on the TMS.

Personally I feel that Devon proposing another unit to the east of the Lane well, speaks volumes as to their current mindset.

John,

No, You are not correct in stating that the TMS is like putty. Where did you get that idea? I have cuttings from a well in the area and the TMS is a very solid shale formation that should be very frackable. 

John-

The only "fracing problem" that the TMS has ever had is the lack of proper stimulation performed by previous operators. The largest frac to date is ~800k #'s of proppant performed in 4 frac stages by Encore. In todays environment, this is considered a busch league attempt at completing a modern horizontal wellbore.

Shale plays are all about induced permeability via hydraulic fracturing. The more proppant, the more permeability, the more hydrocarbon is produced; it's that simple. The past 5 years of shale playing has perfected the technique of placing very large amounts of proppant (400K #'s/stage) in multiple frac stages (15-20) along the workable lateral. This results in wells that are stimulated with 5-10 million #'s of sand; a far cry from 800K #'s.

With that being said, not all shales are created equal. More carbonate rich shales (more brittle) require much less induced permeability while clay rich shales (more ductile) require more induced perm to be profitable.  Shale plays like all oil and gas plays come down to profitability and the more frac sand pumped requires increased capital.

Although the jury is still out on the profitability of the TMS, it doesn't have a fracing problem it has a lack of fracing problem which is on the way to being resolved by Encana and Devon. These guys are some of the industry's best and will spend the amount of capital necessary to make this a world class play.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service