Devon is setting 5 1/2" casing in the well.

Views: 9873

Replies to This Discussion

Joe - I just looked at Sonris and noticed that Encana began drilling the Weyerhauser #73 well in St. Helena Parish on August 3, 2011. It looks like as of two days ago they had drilled to 3,010 feet. This one will be interesting to watch -this one is to have a nearly 7,000 foot lateral. This well is very close ( about 5 miles south) of the Encana BOE well in Amite county, Miss.
They have another well permitted  very near this one which may begin drilling soon also - Anderson #17H .  This  well and their Horseshoe Hill well ( to the east in Wilkinson County) have unusually large unit acreage, longer laterals +_8000' and are permitted for 4 wells on each pad site. We might see more of these multi-well (octopus sites) in the TMS. Landowners with access to water should be in the bullseye for a well site - note the amount of water used on the BOE. I recommend landowners with water register their property with Wright Water Resources asap : http://www.wrightwaterresources.com/  and tell Ben that Steve from St. Francisville sent you. He can put your property and water resources in his free database for drilling companies to locate you for a well site and to buy your water. They will be needing a lot of water and I believe it takes about $30K-$50k of water at 25 cents a barrel to frack one well.

Steve,

I read the permit as saying they were going to drill 4 wells in the large unit. That may not be correct. I would like someone to clarify this if possible. I would not have a problem with a large unit and long laterals if this is the case.

Pad size may be an indicator. Unusually large pad sites (5 or more acres for example) sometimes indicates they intend multi-well drilling from one location. With directional drilling it isn't necessary to move the drilling rig but feet and that is much cheaper. I believe this is common in the Haynesville. Whether all wells have to be in the same unit is a legal question I can't answer, but I doubt it is required unless that is addressed in the landowner's surface rights agreement. I have seen a lease provisions that required that all wells bottom hole in the same unit but that is not standard language. Maybe someone with real knowledge about this and the size of the pads could chime in here and set us straight.
Hey Steve what about a live creek just west of Clinton that ties into comite river...not large volume but is definitely live..

Benjamin at Wright Water Resources can tell you what the legal rights to that water will be. I know that in the case of the BOE ( that is Miss. not La.) Encana got  water from the upper Amite River by pump and pipeline to that well. Did they pay the local landowner for the water itself ? I know they paid for access to it. They needed a place to set up their pumps and water lines and a holding reservoir.

I would say that if your property lies near such a water source(even within a few miles) you have a potential well site. Transporting by truck the amount of water needed to frack is expensive. If you have access to water they can use your pond or dig a pond on your property to  use as a holding tank for their water needs. Contact Benjamin and he can tell you more about this. I would register with him, especially if you have a lake or pond or a good site to put one in.

Thx Steve, very informative. This shale play is unfolding new events on a daily basis... I'm sure there are plenty more surprises to come....
These multi-well sites are going to throw serious curves to landowners that have already signed conventional leases with no particular surface specifications..... It's gonna get interesting!!!!!
Unfortunately this is just another example of why people who have been in this for a while strongly recommend you get a good mineral rights lawyer or consultant to advise you before you  actually sign a lease, especially if a well is going on your land. It is not unusual to see  +5 page addendums added to the standard lease form given out by the O&G companies - and if you ask additional lawyers to review your lease it could quickly be as thick as the recent ObamaCare law. :)
I have very large lake (3600 acres) in Evangeline parish....right on southern border of shale play. They could drill n frac all they want for miles, mentioned it to two-dogs.. He said that area about 1-2 years away...should I register that acreage with Ben....

Registering with Wright Water Resources is free and might increase your chances of getting noticed by O&G scouts looking for drill sites. Now is not too early to register your water. Benjamin Hall is very knowledgeable  about selling water  in the Haynesville Shale.  He has a lake and sells his own family's water. That's how his Company started.

Recently a landowner told me personally that he had missed out on some $  because they told him they weren't aware when they scouted his area that he owned a pond near their planned well site. They had already made a water agreement with another landowner farther away from the well site. This is why O&G companies are seemingly very receptive to information gathered by Wright Water Resources. Water availability info, even if it is a lesser consideration, helps them find the most economically advantageous well sites in a  play like the TMS.  Yours is a sizeable lake and could be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in water sales if they started drilling your area heavily.

Steve,

Thanks for that info, my parent's neighbor has a big pond he wanted to find out about!!  But also be warned, if they get rights to the water, they will suck that pond dry!  Check the level of Toledo Bend Reservoir!  Its not just from drought.  I have seen many people selling their pond water here in the Haynesville to be left with a mud hole.  Make sure water agreements, as to levels are met, unless you don't care about it, or there are frequent rains.  Fracing can take many thousands of barrel's of water.  Drilling is around 7-8 thousand barrels (ie 7000 bbl x 42 gal = 294,000 gal water).  Some fracs in Haynes ville I have seen with 40 or more Frac tanks with 500bbl water each (20,000 bbl x 42 = 840,000 gal water) not trying to be a spoiled sport, but we have had water shortages in NW LA, just keep that in mind!!  I really hope the TMS succeeds, my family will be in the middle of it, and I hope I get the chance to be a part of it too.  

Good info Gregory. I recommend anyone with water questions or if thinking about building a pond to sell water, contact Wright Water Resources for advice before taking action. It does take a lot of water to drill and frac. There are evolving State regulations concerning use of water sources for fracking that landowners need to look at. Benjamin is also knowledgeable in the area of regulations:  www.wrightwaterresources.com. If the TMS or the Austin Chalk develops in any big way there will be a huge need for water and some landowners could get in on that. Like you said, they are having to truck water from Toledo Bend for the Haynesville and that can be expensive. In my opinion only, local landowners could lose out if they don't register their water resource because there are some very large water suppliers (Heckmann from California) is one that is already scouting the TMS and already active in the Haynesville and other shale plays setting up contracts to deliver water to the O&G industry. If they or others like them secure a contract to obtain and deliver water in your area you could be left completely out of the loop.

I apologize to everyone for my long posts of late. I know I have a tendency to over explain.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service