Does any body know of any wells that have been drilled in the Haynesville play that were dry

If so about how many and in what areas

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A Big thanks to ya, Les. I will landmark'em on good ole' Google Earth. I have a couple already on there. Makes it interesting.

P.S. Just added a term to DCAs blog.

Les B: Shaleguru
Where can I get myself a map that covers the entire area and lists all the townships and sections?
The map I have just covers a small area around T-10N R-11W. That is the area that I am in. The closest well to me listed above is the Murray and then the Messemger I think.
Long live the Haynesville Shale cried Jack Blake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Jack, there are probably better sources but I generally use the interactive map on Sonris.

1) Go to the main page at http://sonris-www.dnr.state.la.us/www_root/sonris_portal_1.htm
2) On the left under "GIS Access" select "Interactive Maps"
3) After map loads zoom into area of the map
4) Under "Boundaries" select "Townships" and "Sections". Make sure you click the "T" button so it will put the names on the map.

It is difficult so may take some experimentation and practice to get the hang of it. You can also add layers for towns, highways, etc.

There is also an interactive Haynesville Shale map at this location:
http://dnr.louisiana.gov/haynesvilleshale/default.asp

You may want to ask KB also as she is aware of other sources of information.

Sorry about the delay in answering your question.
Hello Mr. Blake,
As is on the Barnett, no dry holes. Yet not all wells out there have been commercially successful.Then again they have been drilling there for a decade or so , not having the experience that they have now.The Haynesville is largest N/G field in the U.S., under more pressure,etc. Even with a few bad steps , these wells may still be able to reach payout even when someone fracs up the job.

They may hold off on admitting to the exact location of its borders, even after they do actually find them. I will call Uncle Mac & ask him for a current copy of what they feel its borders are but he hasnt always been up front with me on every issue that we have faced. I'm not his favorite nephew if you know what I mean.
Boy oh boy, I thought you & he were on each others' speed dial. LOL I thought (and again I may be talking out the wrong end here) because of the technology of 3D siesmic and directional drilling they were less likely to get dry holes. Notice I said "less likely," but I'm guessing a dry hole is possible.
We are indeed on each others something but it isnt speed dial, I assure you.
We are pen pals of sorts. :-)
Thanks Snakeologist cried Jack Blake
Long Live the Haynesville!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Oree, the term "dry hole" can be a complex term since it covers many situations.

1) Well did not have the target zone present
2) Well had zone but no oil or gas (ie wet - full of water)
3) Well had zone and gas but insufficient porosity/permeability/thickness to complete (even with fracture stimulation)
4) Well had everything but incurred mechanical problems and never completed.
5) Well had everything, was completed but never reached pay-out.

Items 1-3 are generally what would be considered a "dry hole" but sometimes #4 would fall in the category under industry reporting.

For the Haynesville Shale, Item #2 is not relevant. Because industry has access to many older wells (penetrations), it reduces the probability of drilling a #1 type well in the early years as operators are focused on drilling in the known area. The only drilling that might have tested the edges in NWLA occurred in Natchitoches Parish and upper Caddo & Bossier Parish and all wells appeared to be successful. In later years operators will likely test closer to the edge, but rather than dry holes the wells may simply be sub-economic. This has been the situation in the Barnett Shale where wells have fallen into the #4 or #5 category. This is the reason for the reduction in drilling activity in the outer counties as operators focus on the core area.
Thanks Les. I hope you are right Jim. Some places are not "economical" yet. Hopefully once gas prices go up and drilling costs go down, the area will widen a great deal. And I'm all for less wells with more frac stages. If it shaves money off the well cost and I have less sites to look at, good!
Again, thanks Les for sharing your expertise and for doing it in a way that we "average joes" can understand.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service