Inc. to Test CNG/Diesel Dual Fuel Upgrade on Refuse Transfer Trucks

By: Marketwire .
Feb. 7, 2011 09:00 AM

CARLISLE, IA -- (Marketwire) -- 02/07/11 -- GreenMan Technologies, Inc. (OTCBB: GMTI) announced that its American Power Group Inc. ("APG") subsidiary has signed an EPA Test Vehicle Agreement with Waste Connections of Colorado, Inc. to convert one of its refuse transfer trucks to APG's dual fuel system and begin on-the-road test trials and emission compliance approval. APG recently became the first company in the U.S. to receive a Vehicular Memorandum of Exemption from the United States Environmental Protection Agency ("EPA") allowing public highway access for the testing and verification of APG's unique non-invasive dual fuel upgrade system on aftermarket diesel truck and tractor engines.

Waste Connections of Colorado, Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Waste Connections, Inc., an integrated solid waste services company that provides solid waste collection, transfer, disposal, and recycling services in mostly secondary markets in the Western and Southern U.S. The company serves more than two million residential, commercial and industrial customers across 27 states. Waste Connections also provides intermodal services for the movement of solid waste and cargo containers in the Pacific Northwest. The company was founded in September 1997 and is headquartered in Folsom, CA.

APG's dual fuel system converts diesel engines and diesel generators to function more efficiently and at a lower operating cost (net fuel cost savings of 25% - 35%) by seamlessly displacing 40%-70% of the normal diesel fuel consumption with CNG, LNG, or bio-methane. APG's system is non-invasive to the OEM engine and operates within all OEM performance controls with the flexibility to return to 100% diesel operation at any time. APG's dual fuel conversion and emissions reduction systems can help users achieve their sustainability goals through lower carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxide, and particulate matter emissions. In addition, the introduction of natural gas through APG's dual fuel system does not impact diesel engine power or pulling torque and will assist in extending the engine's oil life as natural gas is a cleaner burning fuel compared to diesel.

The test exemptions will allow APG to gather critical engine performance and emission data on a pre-dual fuel and post-dual fuel basis to support EPA approval requirements and commence commercialization of their non-invasive dual fuel upgrade system in the United States. The initial vehicle to be tested for Waste Connections of Colorado, Inc. will be a 2007 11.5Liter /405 HP Mack refuse truck operating in the Denver metropolitan area.

Lyle Jensen, GreenMan's President and Chief Executive Officer, stated, "We are pleased to initiate test trials with Waste Connections which is the fifth largest solid waste company in the United States according to Waste Age magazine's 2010 Waste Age 100. With this announcement, two of the top ten solid waste companies in the United States have elected to test our APG dual fuel system which supports our belief that the aftermarket refuse industry will be a large addressed market for commercializing our dual fuel technology. Waste Connections, which operates a fleet of over 3,000 vehicles nationwide, is dedicated to implementing meaningful sustainability initiatives which include using CNG and LNG as an alternative to diesel fuel, as well as harvesting methane gas from landfills to generate renewable energy to power homes, small industry, and eventually, their fleets. Our test trials will start with a conversion to compressed natural gas and we anticipate future tests could include landfill bio-methane and other bio-gas sources of fuel."

Greg Thibodeaux, Vice President of Maintenance & Fleet Management for Waste Connections, stated, "Our EPA test trial with American Power Group is a continuation of our efforts to evaluate and integrate emerging technologies into our waste hauling and disposal operations. Benefits from these successful projects would include decreasing our nation's dependence on foreign oil, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and stimulating economic growth by creating green jobs. We look forward working with APG to validate the benefits of their technology."

buck

Views: 148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wonder how much do EPA regulations and requirement add to costs in conversions?

How many more conversions would we be seeing if the government would simply just get out of the way?

P.G.

Looks like the EPA are the good guys this time, their clean diesel regulations have opened the door to LNG. 

• NEXTERNAL
  • STATIC
  • STATIC
  • NEXTERNAL
  • NEXTERNAL
  • NEXTERNAL
  • NEXTERNAL
  • STATIC
Previous Next

WHY CLEAN DIESELS?

Diesel engines power the movement of goods across the nation, help construct the buildings in which we live and work, help build the roads on which we travel, and carry millions of children to school each day. While diesel engines provide mobility and are critical to the nation’s economy, exhaust from diesel engines contains pollutants that negatively impact human health and the environment. Diesel engines emit large amounts of nitrogen oxides, particulate matter and air toxics, which contribute to serious public health problems.

More than 20 million diesel engines in operation today do not meet EPA’s new clean diesel standards, yet these engines can continue to operate for 20 to 30 years. EPA established innovative programs to accelerate emission reductions from older diesel engines to provide more immediate air quality benefits. The goal of these innovative programs is to address in-use diesel engines by promoting a variety of cost-effective emission reduction strategies, including: switching to cleaner fuels; retrofitting, repairing, repowering, and replacing equipment; and reducing idling. EPA has made significant progress toward this goal by engaging in partnerships, fostering innovative technologies, and providing funding assistance to accelerate the introduction of clean diesel technologies.

NCDC programs are creating demand for diesel emission reduction technologies. The purpose of EPA’s Verification Program is to evaluate the emission reduction capabilities of a given technology. Through this process, EPA helps to instill confidence in our stakeholder community that the verified emission reductions will be achieved. The verification process includes a thorough technical review of the technology as well as tightly controlled testing to quantify emission reductions.

Through NCDC, EPA has collaborated with thousands of partners to reduce the health effects of diesel emissions across the nation. These diverse and committed partners include state and local governments that have created incentive programs to reduce emissions from both public and private fleets; businesses and industry groups that have provided technical assistance and devoted millions of dollars to retrofit diesel engines; and environmental or community groups that have successfully advocated for and managed effective projects to help reduce the public health impacts from diesel emissions.

The CNG addition to the Diesel engine is the best bridge we could ask for.

Existing vehicles can utilize CNG. This can bridge the development of CNG stations across America

Cost is low. emissions are better than Diesel alone. Price of methane is currently low and will likely be lower than diesel for a long time to come. Reduce foreign oil requirements. Generate jobs in USA. 

This process is proven, and has been used in Canada for some time with large diesel compressor engines. 

This is a nice start, there will be a niche for existing equipment conversions for some time to come, and will indeed help foster refueling infrastructure.

Now if only we could get rid of the onerous licensing requirements for shops doing passenger conversions for average consumers.

essay,

Is there a special license required to install LNG or CNG on vehicles? 

Another question, what if you installed everything yourself, converted your truck, hooked up a compressor to your NG line and filled your tanks at night, would I have to get a license? 

Another question, If I were involved in a accident, resulting in a fire, and the sweet loving kinfolk,s discovered I got a gas well in my back yard that had to be tied to the ground just to keep it there, would that license protect you from any liabilities?

If the answer's are Yes, Yes, and No....... Will it go underground?

I do believe the current regulation regarding NGV conversions was enacted by the E.P.A. in what it saw as enforcement of the Clean Air Act regarding just what you propose, i.e., unauthorized conversions.  Not only do you need a permit to be legal you need specific permits for different model/engine combinations etc. and then you are limited in the number you can convert... so in short, it is a very, very expensive proposition.  I can't make heads or tails out of much on the E.P.A. website, so if anyone has specific information about how much any given conversion costs in the U.S. I'd love to see it.  NGV America says the average conversion is anywhere from $12,000 to $18,000.  It's also common knowledge on the interwebs that you can get it done in Mexico for less than a grand.  E.P.A. certified engines are probably safer, but are they 10k-15k safer?  I really doubt it.

Sounds likely why we don't see much converting going on...

Makes one wonder if there is more behind this than safety, huh?

We had "Cash for Clunkers", maybe we could use, "Cash for Conversions", huh?

If there was a full blown effort to convert to NGV's, the cost would naturally decrease as it does with all other consumer items. 

Take VCRs, DVD players, Plasma TVs, etc., the more produced, the lower the cost.  The first computer I purchased cost $3,200, it even had a whopping 500 MB hard drive, impossible to fill up....

I think P.G. is right, they would have to start a "Cash for Conversion" program to get started, but why should I pay for that program?  Who would it help, and would it in the long run, help me?

With Essays cost to convert listed above, a conversion would never pay for itself, the vehicle would wear out before you would see a cost benefit to switch fuels.  Today's cost @ $3.00/gal. @20MPG/10,000 miles/year would be $1,500 fuel cost per year.  Taking a guess, fuel price for a NGV, $1.50/gal. @20MPG/10,000 miles/year would be $750.  Fuel savings per year; $750.  You would need to reduce that amount again if the fuel economy of LGN is less than gasoline or diesel, or if it's better, add to that amount.

A guess would be a savings of $550 to $850 per year.  At $15,000 for a conversion, you would have to operated that vehicle for 27/18 years before you would realize any savings.  If we want to keep the government out and let the market dictate a conversion, Oil would have to increase by several factors to make the market look for cheaper fuels.

I don't think the real cost of importing oil into this country is reflected in the price we pay per gallon.  If it was, then $10.00/gal. would be more realistic.  We, the American people, pay for keeping the sea lanes open and general peace around the world.  We also pay a lot for "Safety": Homeland Security.   When our dollars go overseas for energy, many of them end up in the hands of our enemies.

Would a "Cash for Conversion" program be better for us?  Would pressure from the government forcing manufactures to produce a NGV be unconstitutional?  Some of us say, NO, and some say, YES.  I think it's time for this country to have a real discussion about our energy needs.  

We have 'Clean Gas', let's use it.

Max 

The cynic in me says that there's nothing natural about the cost to converting NGV's in the U.S. and that the E.P.A. is a barrier that must be removed or at least greatly marginalized before any budding effort has anything approaching a remote chance of success.  Further, I feel that the barrier is purely special interest politics down to it's rotten little core; there are no end to the lobbies that benefit.

We don't have adult conversations in the public forum anymore, and it seems the opposing sides have not agreed on reality for many issues in quite some time.  Our system is quickly becoming the tyranny of the majority, and both sides are guilty.

It is a national security issue, pure and simple.  On that we couldn't agree more.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service