Exco CEO:To Decide On Marcellus Shale Joint Venture In 2 Weeks

By Isabel Ordonez, Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

NEW ORLEANS -(Dow Jones)- Exco Resources Inc. (XCO) Chief Executive Douglas Miller said Tuesday the company could announce a joint venture in the Marcellus shale in the next two weeks.

Speaking to analysts at the Howard Weil Energy Conference in New Orleans, Miller said the company is still analyzing its opportunities to enter into a partnership to develop some of its acreage in Marcellus, an emerging shale gas play located in the northeastern U.S.

"I will tell you, the heat is on to make a decision," Miller said.

The executive didn't provide the names of potential partners.

The company already has a joint venture with U.K.-based international energy company BG Group PLC (BRGYY, BG.LN) in the Haynesville shale play in East Texas and North Louisiana. Last year, the European company took a 50% interest in certain holdings of Dallas-based Exco in a deal valued at $1.3 billion.

Miller also said that costs in the Haynesville shale are increasing in the last few months due to the intense drilling activity of companies such as Chesapeake Energy Corp. (CHK), Encana Corp. (ECA) and Petrohawk Energy Corp. ( HK).

The Marcellus and Haynesville shales are rapidly developing natural gas fields.

-By Isabel Ordonez, Dow Jones Newswires; 713-314-6090; isabel.ordonez@ dowjones.com

Second paragraph from the bottom - what would cause the cost to go up in the last few months unless it is the leasing bonus - if so has price per acre for leasing gone up - last talk in the rumor mill was 6000 - 6500 per acre?

Views: 66

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it is the fracking crews and equipment, due to simple supply and demand, that has brought the cost up in the Haynesville recently. I do want to hear about those lease bonuses though. Anyone with any info, please share.
Shaleeee, IMHO you are reading something into his comment that isn't there. Like ALongview, I believe Doug Miller was referring to service company costs, including the costs to frac the wells, because of the demand side of the equation.
Thanks ALongview and Spring Branch - makes sense - just glad the demand side is good - that is a positive.
Keep in mind.........I'm referring to the demand for oil service equipment an services rather than the demand for natural gas.
LOL Spring Branch - I wish the demand for natural gas was up! But I was referring to the need for fracing and equipment - I hope that means that inspite of the NG price that the drilling goes on and has not slowed down. Thanks for info
EXCO needs to get more frackin' equipment. grin
The day rate for rigs has also gone up with the increased drilling schedules.
The day rate may have gone up, but the days to reach TD has gone down. I think most rigs reach TD in 50 to 55 days now.
The best barometer of drill cost is feet drilled per day. We usually don't discuss things in those terms but that is the best means to evaluate the cost of the drill portion of well expense. Right now I suspect that the increase day rates and the improved feet per day are about a wash. However the drilling will not slow, it will increase for HBP considerations. And every new contract is signed at a premium to the last. Another one of those Catch 22's that the Play seems to be stuck in.
Skip, the cost per foot has dropped over 40% in the last year just like the drilling time from spud to TD.

There is no indication that rig rates have increased significantly. The number of drilling rigs in the play is flattening and much of the current drilling by some companies is not for HBP purposes but rather to generate earnings.
Les, I have read several recent reports that indicate increases in day rates. The question is whether or at what point that increase equals or exceeds the improved drilling rate. The demand may be flattening in the Haynesville Play but it is still growing in others. And IMO will continue to do so for several years. The leasehold to be HBP'ed in the Marcellus alone is substantial.
Skip, just to clarify my comments were only in regard to the Haynesville Shale play rather than any other plays in the US.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service