Interesting to see that there will be a 22,000 ft well
to spud soon in Jefferson County exploring Haynesville Shale.

See Mainland Resourses----any comments??????

Tags: Activity, Mississippi

Views: 13520

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Based on recent daily drilling rates, it appears to me that they may have eased into the high pressure zone and once there are drilling ahead at increased rate. What do you think?
Hard to tell what the plan is now... by advancing the casing string they can protect potentially productive formation, better blowout/kick protection and better mud control.

Now that we are in higher pressure situation, well control is the primary concern I would think..... geopressure or Skip would have the best technological knowledge, but a Press Release would clarify the situation best.
Mainland Penetrates Target Haynesville Shale Formation in Mississippi at 19,980 Feet
Posted on: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 08:00:00 EST

HOUSTON, Dec. 2, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ --

Mainland Resources, Inc. (the "Company" or "Mainland") (OTC Bulletin Board: MNLU | PowerRating; Frankfurt: 5MN) (www.mainlandresources.com) announces that it has penetrated the top of the target Haynesville Shale at a depth of 19,980 feet at its Burkley-Phillips #1 well on the Buena Vista prospect located in Jefferson County, Mississippi.

As of Dec. 2, 2010, the Company is drilling ahead at 20,078 feet on its vertical well and is on course to reach the programmed depth of 22,000 feet. Upon reaching total depth, the well will be logged and the shale section will be evaluated utilizing Schlumberger and industry leading technology to confirm reservoir parameters and the Company's contention that an extensive natural fracture system exists within the Haynesville Shale. This information will provide a more accurate understanding of the prospectivity of the Haynesville Shale. The Company believes that the Haynesville Shale may extend beyond a 2,000 foot vertical section based on technical information gathered to date.

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/news/press-release/mnlu_slb_mainland-...
Good press release.... only tantalizing information missing is BHP and temperature... that would add a lot to this otherwise very positive outlook..... it indicates that we will see progressive press releases so maybe the next one will have more on the BHP.
Could someone estimate the cost of this well?
there is haynes in this area,,haynes buckner,, watch us now can you state bhp thx swanky
What would nat. gas have to be for this to be productive? If they are in trouble around here at 9 MM per well...
anything around 4.50 and up they are in good shape- well costs will be less than you might think because they evidently won't have to go horizontal- one of the keys here will be reserves- this is gonna be a big well- as to whether its haynesville or not, its not important- an engineer that i have great confindence in said " its the same thing"- as to all the commentary about the "promotional aspect" of mainlands business, some folks don't understand that the minute atencio took over, that changed. this is a new company.
I suspect that bringing Mr. Atencio in as CEO was a good move. The misinformation and exaggeration involved in publicizing the prospect were largely before his tenure. Still it's worthwhile for those considering an investment to know facts such as Mainland's prior history of zero operated wells and that is was not an early mover in the Haynesvile Shale Play. And the fact that the term "Haynesville Shale" was bandied about in the beginning for promotional purposes is still bothersome. If the Haynesville formation can be produced commercially from a vertical well, it's not shale, it's sand. david, you're right that it doesn't have to be Haynesville and it won't hurt my feelings a bit if it turns out to be "a big well". I hope it's at least a commercial one.
"Still it's worthwhile for those considering an investment to know facts such as Mainland's prior history of zero operated wells"...

I think that a lot of readers hold the term "operator" in too high of regard. 'Operator' simply means that they are responsible for drilling cost and are liable in the event of an accident. Furthermore, it is their responsibility to maintain production from the particular well(s). Operators also receive payments from petroleum sales and distribute these funds to royalty owners, working interest partners, and the appropriate state or federal government agencies. In many cases in the past, banks have served as operators, paying Drilling Consultants 'Company-Men' to oversee the drilling operations and hiring a pumper to monitor the well's production. By the way, this is exactly what a major oil & gas company would do as an operator - find Drilling Consultants and hire a pumper.
--
"If the Haynesville formation can be produced commercially from a vertical well, it's not shale, it's sand"...

Perhaps you should look into a 40 year-old practice which has gained significant appeal in the last few years called 'Hydro-Fracking'. I might also suggest that you consider the relative thickness of Haynesville Shale, the potential for natural fractures, and the cost of difference of drilling a straight hole vs a horizontal hole.
--
"And the fact that the term "Haynesville Shale" was bandied about in the beginning for promotional purposes is still bothersome"...

Given the title of the recent article 'Mainland Penetrates Target Haynesville Shale Formation in Mississippi at 19,980 Feet', I would offer that all of their Haynesville Shale talk was warranted.
Skip, it is very well possible to make commercial shale gas production from a vertical well completion. It just depends on the specific situation. So the absolute statement doesn't apply.
I think that operational experience is a legitimate issue especially when misleading statements are made in conjunction with that status, ie. "Mainland was an early mover in the Haynesville Shale". Most of the members on the site are aware of the basics regarding hydraulic fracture stimulation. They are also aware of the importance of lateral length if not net versus gross pay. I don't find article titles to necessarily be a good source of facts. I'll wait for the completion report.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service