deltic stock is going nuts i guess because they have such a huge

mineral interest in the brown dense area and the leasing companies

are still going full bore so i would conclude that the well is a smoker.

anyone else have any insight?

Views: 2539

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gotcha

Skip,

It looks like Epsilon is going to drill some horizontal brown dense wells in Mississippi. Is  there any way to keep up with those wells? I'm not familar with MS O&G.

Go to page 17 of this presentation

http://www.slideshare.net/plsderrick/epsilon-corporate-presentation...

Play around with this:

http://gis.ogb.state.ms.us/MSOGBOnline/

Also note the map on page 17 and the target Brown Dense shown in section.  This is what a conventional reservoir looks like.  The map depicts isolated prospective areas of interest.

Lafayette and Union counties list the decimal interest on their tax statements.

LOWER SMACKOVER BROWN DENSE - New!

Exploration Reconnaissance Study

One of the most prolific source rocks in the Gulf Coast Basin area is the Lower Smackover "Brown Dense" section. It is the source rock for the overlying Upper Smackover carbonate-shoal conventional reservoirs. This organically-laminated, carbonate mudstone section rims the Gulf Coast Basin from Florida to East Texas. It may contain liquid hydrocarbons that might be economically produced with horizontal drilling and fracture stimulation. Several companies are currently evaluating the potential of the Lower Smackover looking to become a first mover in the play.

The Integrated Reservoir Solutions Division of Core Laboratories is proposing to interested companies participation in a reconnaissance project involving the screening of reservoir properties from legacy cores. This project consists of the reservoir characterization of several cores that Core Lab has obtained from the public domain. The area of interest is the Arkansas-Louisiana State Line Trend.

The primary objective of this project is to provide operators with geological, petrographic, geochemical, and pore space properties of the Lower Smackover section by the analysis of conventional cores. Specifically, the analytical program will consist of the following:

1. Each core will be described and sedimentologically analyzed to determine lithology, grain size, physical and biogenic sedimentary structures, contacts, and the vertical sequence in order to identify depositional facies and environments of deposition. Fracture analysis will also be conducted to determine the type, frequency and distribution of visible fractures.
  2. Selected core slabs will be digitally photographed in color to provide a permanent record of facies and other features such as natural fractures.
  3. Selected samples will be measured for porosity, permeability and grain density.
  4. Samples from the cores will be taken for detailed petrographic analysis and rock type characterization. Epi-fluorescence thin section petrography utilizing rhodomine-dyed epoxy and "ultra-thin" thin sections will aid in the characterization of depositional texture, allochems, cements and pore structure, along with the analysis of micro-fractures. Fractures will also be analyzed to determine fracture-fill cement stratigraphy.
  5. Selected samples from the core will be taken for SEM evaluation of micro-fabric and pore types. A new high resolution FEG (Field Emission Gun) SEM will be utilized to analyze the samples in conjunction with Back-Scatter Electron (BSE) mode and Energy Dispersive X-ray Spectrum analysis (EDS).
  6. Bulk and clay mineralogy will be determined by X-ray diffraction techniques.
  7. Total organic content (TOC), Rock Eval pyrolysis, and vitrinite reflectance will be measured on the core samples.

http://corelab.com/rm/irs/studies/Lower-Smackover-Brown-Dense.aspx

Thanks Skip. What's your thought on this? I'm no o&g professional so I don't know much about Core Labs. Are they well respected in the industry?
As far as I know they are.  IMO, they are attempting to attract some business.  They probably need a group of energy companies to subscribe to their Exploration Reconnaissance Study to make it viable.  Considering the long history of SMK exploration and production in the State Line Trend, I think it is telling that there are only twenty reference wells.  Even though a large number of SMK wells have been drilled I suspect that few are to sufficient depth (Brown Dense) and/or have modern electric log data.  The Brown Dense is obviously an intriguing prospect for a number of reasons and I expect that it is on the industry radar.  There is just so little hard data to work with.  I'd like to see some prominent horizontal drillers come in and drill some test wells even if those wells were verticals that simply provided the missing data.  If sufficient quality data was available, we would have seen a higher level of drilling activity by now.

There is an old driller's log from the late 40s on  a well drilled close to some land I have 2 miles from the Arkansas border which I believe describes the brown dense. They actually describe the brown dense as being around 200ft thick but there is only and "oil show" for 7 feet out of the 200'. You think that's because there was a fault there that allowed oil to leave the brown dense? Anyway the well made around 120bpd but didn't last long. I'll try to post a link to it from Sonris.

Go to page 14 on the link below to look at the driller's log. The Brown dense actually appears to be around 500' as it is from 9306'-9807 but the oil show is 9319-9326. Also the oil was said to have a gravity of 42.8API. Is that good or bad?

http://ucmwww.dnr.state.la.us/ucmsearch/UCMRedir.aspx?url=http%3a%2...

Sure, post it and call Jay.  However keep in mind that there are many types of modern logs and the majority did not exist in the 1940's.  I think Core Labs is relying on cores because there are few, if any, modern logs available to the required depth.
Wrong kind of log.  I was speaking of electric logs.  Any value above 40.0 API is considered a "light" oil.  That's good.
I realize it's just a driller's log but I thought it was interesting. Do they even do driller's logs anymore? BTW I noticed on some old driller's logs they included the taste of the formation as a description :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service