They have completed drilling the Harvey #1, close to James community on HWY7 about half way between Center and Logansport. It is said they took core samples and did some other testing. This well took about 3 months to complete, due to the depth and taking of core samples. Shortly prior to completing this well they got permit for another 18,000 footer, the Carznava#1 about four miles west of the Harvey #1. It seems strange to me that they would go to the much greater expense of drilling another deep well unless they found something that piqued their interest.

If they found anything below the HS it would probably be in the Smackover, which has been a very prolific hydrocarbon producer, and would in all probably be very wet gas due to the temperatures and pressures involved which would probably be above the oil window. The interesting possibility would be below the Louann Salt. Conditions under the salt would be much cooler than above the salt and possibly above the oil window, this phenomenon is caused by the heat transference properties of salt which could lower the temperatures below the salt by 30C to 80C. Another question for you who are much smarter on these issues than I, How deep is the Louann in the Arklatex

Another item is XTO has permits for two 18,000 footers in southern part of the county.

Going back to 1971, no one has gone below 10,000 untill the last two years.

They are looking for something or have they already found it.

Views: 76

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Shelbyco, there are two fields in East Texas listed for the Bossier Shale.

Carthage, North (Bossier Shale) - Harrison, Marron, Panola, Rusk, Shelby
Bossierville (Bossier Shale) - Shelby, San Augustine

In addition there are three additional fields that may also be Bossier Shale.

Beckville (Haynesville) - Panola, Rusk
Center (Haynesville) - Shelby
Waskom (Haynesville) - Harrison, Rusk

Generally, in Texas the approach is to designate one field name for these large unconventional gas plays. Most Barnett Shale wells are included in the Newark, East (Barnett Shale) Field.
jfree and Les B. thank you for the information.
Very good. Is generally in the northeast area of the Ashabranner ?? Thanks for the info, and the details. Since deaper than usual, would that mean there is something there they really want to put out the extra cost? What is your guess as to how long before more info on this situation? Glad you are watching this.
These are shale ( Bossier/Haynesville Shale) targeted well at vertical depth of ~ 11,000'-11,500' with H leg of 5-7000' making Total depth drilled 18,000' required by Texas RRC permit to state total length drilled. Has any one heard any numbers on IP?
The survey will not hold a 5-7000 ft. horiz. After reviewing the plat as described in the permit the horizontal is 3,650 feet.
abudu, Just got off the phone with the Railroad Commission and the vertical depth as stated on the permit does not repeat does not include any footage from the horizontal leg. It is true that the operator must show the starting point and the terminus point and the length of horizontal run.

The well may be completed at other zones as long as the vertical or horizontal completion is no deeper than the permitted depth.

I highly suspect that you are right about the final targeted zones being the HS or Bossier, but the question still remains, why go to the trouble of getting permitted to 18,000 if you had no intention of going that deep. I personally feel they went to or close to the permitted depth in an exploratory effort, and came back to the original target for completion.

Another thought, if they get a third 18,000 ft. permit in the same general area, particularly if it is in the general direction of XTOS 18,000 footer in the southwest part of county, to me it would be very telling.

By the way, 18,000 is the total depth.

Calm down people.

READ THE PERMIT!!!
Attachments:
Look at #8

It clearly says TOTAL DEPTH.
Please don't bring common sense and research into this discussion baron. :)
Sorry it was starting to sound like a sewing circle. If I let it go too much longer it would sound like an episode of days of our lives.
Baron, if you check the TRRC filing instructions you will see #8 represents "Total Vertical Depth" not Measured Depth.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service