What is the Shale that has been found under the Haynesville?

Heard a rumor that a big new shale has been found at 20,000 feet.  It is below the Haynesville.  Does anybody know anything about it?  Does it have a name?  Will gas companies need to sign new leases to get to it?  Most leases limit the depth to 150 feet below the Haynesville and this is much deeper.

Views: 528

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Excellent... well said and explained.  jhh

I don't know of any 20K depth wells in this area TVD.  The likely target is the shale we refer to as the Brown Dense (really a marl which is a very limey mudstone).  It is an Oil target with associated gas.  The sequence is CV, Bossier Shale, Haynesville, Buckner shale and anhydrite, Smackover (which has some excellent conventional pay in oolitic sands)  and the Brown Dense is a lower segment of this formation.  Followed by the Louann salt, the Werner and then the Morehouse shale
JHH, I have seen Haynesville Shale production down to 14,519 ft in Louisiana.  There probably has been HS production down to 15,000 ft somewhere in Louisiana or Texas.  It is unlikely there would be another productive shale gas formation another 5000 ft below those levels within the Haynesville Shale play boundary in East Texas and NW Louisiana.
JHH, Les, Skip, I would suspect that the deepest TVD on a Haynesville well could possibly be the currently drilling Goodrich Petroleum Nelson  #1-H in Nacogdoches County with a TVD over 15,000'.  Might also look at the Goodrich Haynesville well in Angelina County.
Guys, my response concerning TVD was for LA.  I don't follow Texas wells that closely.  And no wells in LA. that I am aware of come anywhere close to 13,500' much less 15,000'.  Any idea what the Bottom Hole temps are for wells that deep?
Skip, there are Haynesville Shale wells below 14,000 ft in Louisiana.

Hey Skip new well in 3-16n-9w built the curve at 13,469 TVD to 14,016 (Colvin well)

To the East off of the Sabine Uplift it drops off very quickly to much greater depths.

None have been drilled to the Haynesville that far over.  This well is one of the farthest East and is reported to be flowing at 8600 psi but the potential test is not on line yet.

Good wells in 16N - 11 & 10W that very much validate the Petrohawk EUR core map.  8600 psi is excellent.  Much if not all of 16N -9W should be productive  if not for faulting.  There appears to be four all oriented NW to SE which is atypical for most of the Play.  In your Colvin example above, you are saying that the 13,469' TVD is actually the "kick off" point as opposed to the depth at which the lateral reaches a horizontal orientation?

Yes it looks good for 16-9 and the S portion of 17-9.   I should have put a comma.  The reported TVD was 14016 but I just pulled the log online and the TVD is 14,285 with an excellent looking Haynesville from 14,070 to TD the best to 14,180.  The curve starts (kicks off) usually about 7 to 900 feet above the Horizontal so that fits

This area also has a well that has held up far better than any other in this township.    7-16-9 (Madden) 1.7 BCF in 7 mo 24 days.  The decline curve is much better and it too appears to be completed in this segment of the HS.  Have a great day. 

Congrats to Madden.  Same to you G. E.
SB - thanks.  I thought there were probably wells that deep in Texas but my ability to locate that type of information for Texas wells is more limited than the Louisiana wells.

Sally,

I would think if this discussion is to have any real importance, you might want to reveal where you heard the rumor.

This has been brought up on this site many times, but no proof has ever been offered.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service