I've been hearing this rumour for almost a year now, never thought much of it because it sounded like just a wild rumour. But it's been awfully persistent, someone told me about it again yesterday so I thought I would post about it and see what happens:

The rumour is that there is oil under the shale, that is one of the reasons Chesapeake is being so thorough with the seimograph work in the area (Central DeSoto Parish). I was told yesterday they had brought in a new team of geologists to help read the seismograph results. So-- think there could be anything to this or is it just wild speculation? After all, killing wild rumours is part of the site's purpose.

Views: 267

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Herefordsnshale, it is highly unlikely there is any oil productive formation below the depth of the Haynesville Shale. In geology there are terms such as the "oil window" and "gas window" in regard to formation depth. This exists all over the US in areas such as the Permian Basin, Rockies, East Texas, Ft Worth Basin, etc.

This is the reason the gas production from the Haynesville Shale has a low heating value and produces little if any condensate.
Herefordshire, I wanted to clarify my statement above is only in relation to the productive Haynesville Shale geograhic region in NW Louisiana.
Low heating value?? Isn't methane--methane?
Carl, produced natural gas always contains numerous hydrocarbon and non-hydrocarbon components in addition to methane. The presence of ethane, propane, etc results in typical gross heating values ranging from 1050 Btu/Scf up to 1300 Btu/Scf. This is the reason the majority of produced natural gas is processed for removal of much of the natural gas liquid (NGL) content prior to delivery to a gas sales pipeline. Producers have indicated Haynesville Shale gas has little of these NGL components and has a gross heating value < 1050 Btu/Scf.

By the way, methane has a gross heating value of 1012 Btu/Scf.
There were some TV ads the other day suggesting that natural gas tends to be mixed with CO2. Is this true in the Haynesville shale area?
Mac, all produced natural gas has some CO2. The Haynesville Shale production north of DeSoto and Red River contains < 2% CO2 which complies with pipeline specifications. The area south has a CO2 content above 2% and will require some minor treating to meet specifications.
Les,
1050 BTU is considered perfect by some companies. Typical spec. for consumer marketable is 900 to 1100. Why would you call 1050 low btu?
That just means it is consumer ready right out of the ground, nothing has to be stripped from it, no h2s, and is readily combustible. Seems to me that calling 1050 btu low is misleading to the uninformed.
WW, sorry I probably should have used the term lower heating value or Btu content. My apologies for any confusion.

The range of 1050 to 1300 Btu/Scf was in reference to unprocessed (untreated) produced wellhead gas. Typical pipeline gas in North Lousiana delivered to consumers after processing would be +/- 1030 Btu/Scf.

The initial limited Information indicates that produced Haynesville Shale gas would be ~ 1000 to 1010 Btu/Scf. Because typical pipeline limits are 950 Btu/Scf minimum to 1100 Btu/Scf maximum, produced Haynesville Shale gas meets the specification for heating value.
Smackover?
Thank you for your knowledge sir.
Jim, do condensate and light gravity oil sell on about par with each other?
SB, yes condensate is priced similiar to light crude oil assuming it is less than ~ 56 API.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service