Devon is setting 5 1/2" casing in the well.

Views: 9870

Replies to This Discussion

The Encana BOE well in Ms. seems to producing a fair amount of water for a short 1800 ft. frac job.  According to Kirk's latest Scout Report Encana reported daily barrel averages in June 165  - in July 142 - in August 378.  Is this high for shale formations? Is the jump in August a sign of anything?

Steve,

My concern is that the TMS overlies the TUSC sand and it is loaded with water. If there is faulting in the area of the lateral and a well is heavily fracked then  that fault can be opened and you will get water. This is just my opinion. ShaleGeo disagrees. 

Jay,

I don't think any of these companies know what they are doing or are dealing with. Look at Nelson/Pryme. They have screwed up another AC well. They can't even get a good clean completion. The other problem as I see it and as I've stated before is AC is a formation with fluid filled voids and no matter how careful you drill it you are going to have some mud encroachment. Unless you can clear that quickly it will set up and block the production. So I question whether any of these companies will figure this out before they kill the plays. 

I've studied this for 40 years as a layman. You stated in an earlier post that there would be no water production in TMS. And the Lane (vertical well) would not be used as a disposal well. I don't agree. You can't go drilling into these formations  like you would a sand or a HA shale that is isolated from a water bearing sand. This area and these wells are not the same. As I'm sure you can attest the TMS play in general is directly over watered out TUSC sands. If you drill the lateral, cut a fault and frack you will have water production. 

Joe, that is one of the challenges of siting the lateral within the shale formation and designing fracture stimulation.  Areas of the Barnett Shale directly overly the Ellenberger Formation that is water bearing.  Operators had to learn how to avoid frac'ing into the Ellenberger. 
Hey Joe - I heard from a friend who has some acreage leased to Devon that they plan to move the rig at Beechgrove to Tangipahoa parish to drill next. I thought they would go back to Ethel and drill the horizontal. Have you heard anything?
No, have not heard anything about that.
I've heard both rumors: heading to Land and Soterra.

Kirk,

I saw this on your blog today:  "Atinum's Briggs Alt. #1 that proved very challenging to drill, has IP'd with some great rates: 2184 BOPD; 6795 MCFD; 3276 BWPD on a 38/64 choke."  I know you can't say for sure what this means concerning the Devon site in Ethel but I'm wondering if this information is relative.  Is this well close enough to the Devon Ethel well to give us an indication of what this area is capable of producing? 

Jed,

No, this is a case of Apples and Oranges. The Atinum/Briggs and Devon/Lane are drilling in two completely different formations. The Atinum/Briggs is in Austin Chalk which has the consistency of a chalk that you write on a blackboard with and the Devon/Lane is in shale which is a solifided clay with a silicate or carbonate mix.  The two have no similarity as far as production characteristics are concerned.

Joe,

Thanks for the reply.  What about the Beachgrove well Devon is fracking right now.  Is that one more similar to the Lane well?  If so I'll be REAL interested in the results of that one.

Jed, 

The Beech Grove well and the Lane are the same. Yes, it will be interesting to see what the test is on it. The Lane (vertical well) was never meant to be a productive well. It was a well to get direct information about the geology of the TMS. Its interesting that the formation took the frack at 35 bbls per minute. I think that maybe tells all that Devon is going to tell us until they start producing the Beech Grove well or any other wells in the area.

Ditto Jay and Joe. Lane will have more pressure and possibly better rock. Possibly more gas too.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service