Oil baron T. Boone Pickens pitches energy plan

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 06:38 PM CDT

Updated: Oct 22, 2008 08:18 PM CDT

Oil Baron T. Boone Pickens pitches energy plan

KSLA News 12 Headlines More >>

Haynesville Shale: A week of the good, the bad and the ugly

Latest Presidential Headlines

by Jeff Ferrell

SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) - Oil prices will rise again, warned oil and gas baron T. Boone Pickens. He made a stop in Shreveport Wednesday morning for a town hall meeting to unveil his energy plan to local residents.

That plan calls on using natural gas, lots of it, instead of foreign oil. It's a perfect fit locally considering the Haynesville Shale. Twelve hundred people packed inside part of the Shreveport Convention Center to hear Pickens' pitch.

The Pickens' plan: Cut oil imports from 70-percent of our daily supply in half by using natural gas for transportation. Pickens told the audience, "we got plenty of natural gas, it's cleaner, it's cheaper, abundant and it's ours."

With northwest Louisiana sitting atop potentially trillions of dollars of natural gas trapped inside rock known as shale, two miles below the surface, there was no shortage of support locally for at least the rough outlines of Pickens' plan. It calls on using natural gas as a temporary bridge from foreign oil to better fuel cell technology in the future.

But even some supporters have concerns, like Sheveport mother Molly McInnis, whole explained, "I'm worried that neither candidate has signed-up for his plan."

After the hour-long presentation and Q&A, we caught up with Mr. Pickens' and asked him directly about which presidential candidate might adopt his plan. Pickens told me, "they both use some of the stuff that I gave them when I was in meetings with them. And neither one of them have adopted the plan."

Pickens also said he won't endorse either candidate. "I can't sell this as a non-partisan issue and support one of them so I'm a lone ranger."

Views: 23

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am voting for Ron Paul. I feel we were blessed to have Ron on the ticket here in Louisiana. I know this will throw my vote away but at least I can look in the mirror and say I did the right thing in voting for the only candidate that will get us out of the mess Washington got us into.
Hey Earl we may be the only two that vote for him on this board but I think his ideas are sound and could get us out of the problems that we are facing as a country.
Mr. Buckner, you say that I am not smart then thats fine between you and me, but to rally guns behind McCain is a losing deal. Niether candidate is the person that I will vote for because they are both out in LEFT FIELD in their views. You vote the way you want and I will vote the way I want and we will both wash out at the ballot box. I will throw my vote away and keep a straight face and you will have egg on your face, my vote will represent what I feel and not be cast to the lessor of two evils.
Earl, we got to stop spending money that we don't have to spend. Cut all spending that we can, bring the troops home and only take care of the old folks and a FEW others that can't take care of themselves.
Wrestling is fake but wraslin' is real!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service