I know this is not NG related but can someone please tell me why diesel fuel cost more than gasoline ? When gas was $0.32 /gal diesel was $0.12 to $0.15 / gal. For years it was about 1/2 the price of gasoline .I was told that it takes more oil to refine a gallon of gasoline than it does for diesel . Anyone in the know ? Jed

Views: 100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am suprised that diesel fuel is not MORE expensive than it is. How I see it is this.. There is more crude content in diesel than gasoline. This is just a physical attribute. I would think that more diesel is consumed than gas..Justified by.. All but a few ships, aircraft, generators, large trucks and Rail equipment run on diesel. This creates a large demand. Gasoline was produced as a by-product at first, now cars run on it creating a market. The reason the prices stay within a few(I use that term loosely) cents of each other are POV's.(Privately owned Vehicles). Lots of cars out there. Whatever is added or taken away from Crude to produce Diesel, JP-4, JP-8,engine oil,trannyfluid,WD-40,Plastic,etc.. has an effect. How often you change your oil, or how often you oil the door hinge on your screen door has an effect on demand and therefore on the price. LOTs of variables to consider when you really think about it, so the question really can't be answered to any degree accuracy without some serious program writing and loads of info. I still think that diesel is the more consumed fuel in whatever form #1,#2, JP4,8....40 gallons per hour in a tug boat, 4 miles to the gallon in a log truck, 800 pounds to take off in an F-15 etc.....I wonder if Rail companies buy road taxed fuel? I wonder this when I see the Fouled up asphalt on the rough RR crossing down the road...LOL Any takers???
Bigwood66 , Roads and bridges are my thing. It seems that the train is not what damages the crossing. It is the "approach" where the road meets the crossings that give way making the crossing loosen a bit or sink. The failure is usually began at the road where it connects to the crossing. We are now adding more rock , base and concrete to the approach of rr crossings. Its the road , you never see the tracks sinking , failing , etc on a plain stretch of rr track. Most of the time the rr's pay for the repairs , replacements or do it themselves .They may pay some tax but probably none. They have had problems over the years but are doing better now. Before 18 wheelers they were the king of transport. Speaking of road tax , I always wondered how much tax is on road diesel and I stopped by a fuel place in Bossier the other day that sells non road diesel , kerosene , naptha , gasoline and it looked that non tax diesel is about 60 cents cheaper. Noticed a long line waiting on non tax diesel. Only one truck was pulling a fuel tank on a trailer and there was one construction company fuel/lube jobsite service truck. The majority was 3/4 ton pick ups with a tank and pump mounted in the bed just behind the cap and there was one Surburban or Excursion waiting in line too. Im sure that none of the pick ups were running on non tax fuel , they must have a tractor or generator at home that runs on diesel and the same for the two SUV's . They probably syphoned all of the non tax diesel out and replaced it with 5 gallons of tax diesel so they could go fill back up on taxed fuel. Or maybe they made a mistake and paid the extra road taxes inside the place after they noticed the goof ? There are two huge security cameras hanging above the pumps that have a great view of the license plates and Im sure the dealer turns people in fueling SUV's with non tax. This place sits directly accross the street from the La. Dept of T&D "DOTD" and the weights and standards inspectors may work out of that office. Wouldnt that be something if people were stealing right under there noses ! But Im sure they were not buying non tax to use on the highways. I noticed a large red wasp nest today that is about six inches in diameter. Im sure they would not sting me if I reached up there and gave them a little pet . Jed
EXXON supports the heck out of moonshine/ethonal-which uses 4 times as much energy to produce as it creates, and hydrogen which takes 6 times as much to produce as it creates. it is good for their business. Bio-diesel is energy effective but how much deepfryer grease is available. and did you ever follow a vechicle burning it? You get this sudden craving for fried chicken and french fries.
Thanks for that 2nd amendment!
Hey Jed, did you say there was a place to get no tax Gasoline? I didn't know of such a thing. What an idea. I been sayin' for years that I should be able to ride my weed-eater on the hi-way cuz all the taxes be paid on dat fuel. I was one of those" wasps" (White Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Substituters) back when I had a diesel or two...LOL..I did have a legit license to buy. I had a little scrub-brush place and a business that used the farm diesel. I would venture to say that my use of taxed fuel for non-tax purposes far and away exceeded the use of non-tax on the hi-way. In the mid to late 90's the freakin' DOTD lived in Winn and Jackson Parish with enough test kits to shut down OPEC. At that time if you had a bulk tank on a trailer or in your truck you had better look for blue lights behind you. I got pulled over for haulin' a pump hose and nozzle cuz the officer thought my tool was a tank..LOL. I changed the filter on a friends 3/4 ton one night and he got popped 3 days later. I had to go to court to explain that we had washed out the cannister and filled the filter with non-tax cuz that was all we could get to at the time. The dye left enough residue for the officer to write him up. He got off but it was a real pain. Talkin' about the road though. Have you noticed the "new" overlay technique? They drop oil for a mile or so then gravel the whole thing... I Just wanted to shout out to the DOTD for the great idea, and from both of my broken winshields "thanks for the memories"......... Oh yeah my mower blades (retired) just wanted to thank the sweeper that left a metric ton of the same gravel nicely distributed 5 to 6 feet into my yard along the 200 feet of road frontage I mow. What Jacka$$ came up with this Idea. Gotta love life.....

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service