BHP Billiton Ltd. (BHP), the world’s largest mining company, agreed to acquire Petrohawk Energy Corp. for $12.1 billion in cash to extend its shale oil production in the U.S.

Melbourne-based BHP will pay Petrohawk $38.75 a share, the two companies said today in a statement. That’s 65 percent more than the Houston-based company’s closing price on July 14.

The acquisition gives BHP three assets across about one million net acres in Texas and Louisiana. BHP agreed to pay $4.75 billion in cash in February for Chesapeake Energy Corp.’s Arkansas shale gas assets to tap growth in the U.S. gas market, the world’s biggest.

“Petrohawk has a focused portfolio of three world class onshore natural gas and liquids rich shale assets,” BHP Petroleum Chief Executive J. Michael Yeager said in the statement.

Petrohawk fell 1.8 percent to close yesterday at $23.49 at in New York. BHP fell 0.1 percent to A$43.60 at the 4:10 p.m. close of Sydney trading yesterday.

The purchase would be the largest acquisition of a U.S. exploration and production company since Exxon Mobil Corp. bought XTO Energy Inc. for $34.9 billion in 2009, according to Bloomberg data.

Views: 3497

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All, this looks more and more like a good thing for landowners and the economy in the Haynesville Shale footprint. All of the analysis of the deal within the industry over the past two days indicates that BHP's primary motivation is to aggressively develop the Haynesville and Eagleford simultaneously. Below is BHP's presentation on the deal which shows a 30% increase planned for Petrohawk' capes over the next 4 years.

http://www.bhpbilliton.com/home/investors/reports/Documents/110715_...
Sorry, capex not "capes". Apple's dern auto-correct.

I had wondered over on the Leased to Petrohawk section about what we might expect.  If you have time do you think could read and reply?  I am really curious, I would think a bunch of us are and do not want to be surprised with bad news.  I would rather know up front.

Thank you

If you read through all 4 pages of this thread you will be up on what is knowable at this time.  In the short term at least, Petrohawk will be freed from its money constraints and able to operate as they see fit.  I think that means drilling wells wherever leases remain in force and hopefully picking up some additional leases held by others to consolidate their operational areas.

Thank you.  I had read them and the info is a big help. I suppose it is my lack of the nitty gritty that prompted my question, which I did not state very clearly.  If we are already leased to Petrohawk and they are bought by another company does the new owner still honor the current leases? What I understood from the info here tends to sound like the current exploration and drilling will continue, none of the staff will be fired and Petrohawk will continue as it is now.  I am just not familiar with the legal aspects of this magnitude of  business transaction. So for those of us with leases with Petrohawk, as far as anyone can guess based the info available, we should not see any change in our lease status due to this change of parent company? The leases will continue in force and there will not be a redo of the leases, titles searches or anything up to this point?

Thank you

An Oil & Gas Lease confers the right to explore and develop from lessor to lessee.  The covenants do not guarantee that the lessee will actually drill a well.  They do, generally, provide for the lessee to assign the lease to another party.  During the effective term of the lease, it may be assigned multiple times.  Regardless of the party holding the lease rights, they must adhere to the terms of the lease.  The agreement is not changed in any way and both parties are bound to specific performance of those terms.  A lessee may offer an extension, whether contained in the original agreement or not, and both parties by mutual agreement may cancel a lease in order to enter into a new and different agreement.
If a lessee seeks an assignment... and in the original lease... the lessee must receive approval from lessor for the assignment... is a lease bonus or some sort of compensation part of the equation?  Also, is an extension to a lease negotiable... as in altering lease terms, royalty% and a new negotiated lease bonus?
JHH, the number of leases I have seen in my career that require lessor approval for an assignment, I can count on one hand and have fingers left over.  What you may be thinking of is lease language that requires the lessee to notice the lessor when an assignment is made.  No lessee would ever consider giving up their full right to assign unless the lease covered a huge area and the lessee had every intent to develop.  Extension options contained in lease agreements are not negotiable.  Both parties can mutually agree to start over from scratch.
Another thing to keep in mind, this is a merger, meaning that no assignments will be done.  Exxon used this same tactic when purchasing XTO to avoid the preferrential rights that were in the Arkoma Basin area.
I think this will be very good news to those who are leased to Petrohawk. Certainly it was great news for those who own their stock. I am guessing it may speed uo development.
I appreciate the statement that this is good news for those of us already leased.

mskillerbee,

on your end of things, you probably won't notice any changes unless you are in an undeveloped area, then you could see drilling activity begin soon.  I would imagine that for the most part though, those of you in the field will not notice many, if any, changes from the way business is done now.  Your contacts will still be the same and all of us will still have our jobs, with the exception of those that choose to leave.  Keep in mind that all employees are stockholders as well, and for those that have been with the company for many years, this could mean an opportunity to cash in and retire early.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service