Chesapeake recently filed this release with the Clerks of Court in Caddo and Bossier parishes for 27 state leases obtained through the state mineral auction by Classic Petroleum in 2008.  Chesapeake declined to pay the required bonus to extend them beyond their one year term.  I did a brief review for those wholly or partially in Caddo Parish, the leases covered ~ 3,760 acres and Chesapeake paid a little more than $12,500,000 with a per acre bonus average of ~ $3300.  All were for a quarter royalty.

CHKReleasesCaddoBossier.pdf

Views: 24

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As a stock holder, the loss of $12.5 million is quiet unsettling.
Linda. It's small change to CHK and an understandable business decision. They have a lot of undrilled leases in the southern reaches of the play. And they are still leasing. I predicted last summer that CHK would redirect their development capital to the southern extension of the Play. This is also somewhat of an object lesson in that members often assume, and sometimes state with conviction, that if company X is taking leases in a particular area they know something definitive regarding its prospective nature. It seems unsettling to many but it is an accepted risk in the industry. Even the companies perceived as highly capable make mistakes. The good ones cut their losses and move on. This opens these tracts for others to lease and drill.
Just think of $12.5 million as two dry holes.
FXEF, don't you know, there are no dry holes in the Haynesville Shale? Just some holes are better than others. The shale in the northern tier of the Play will get drilled eventually when the price of nat gas improves to the point that those wells are economic.
I guess thats the difference between $12.00 and $5.00 natural gas, and a unsteady economy. $12,500,000 poof! Seems like we have seen Aubrey take some crazy hits in the past, I don't know that i would want to hold shares in CHK.
This has happened in every frenzied leasing in every o/g play for over a hundred years, nothing to get excited about, I seem to recall huge portions of the Fayetteville Shale leasing turned out to be uneconomical.
So far I see

18-12
18-13
19-12
19-13
parker. The bulk of the Caddo leases are in the area of Cross Lake. However there are some in 19N - 14 & 13W and 20N - 13W.
Here is a copy of one:

Gives me a crick in my neck trying to read it. Please rotate.

Dat's mo betta. Tank ya. LOL!

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service