Devon is setting 5 1/2" casing in the well.

Views: 9873

Replies to This Discussion

DCM - I also spent time talking one on one to Benjamin and also listened in on 2 of his seminars. Your impression of him is the same as mine. He is knowledgeable and I learned a lot from him. This is why I have been recommending him on posts. Water is becoming more important and scarce, as you said. The La. Dept. of Conservation recently came out with a recommendation/warning(see below) that in the Felicianas the focus needs to be on surface water or other acceptable alternatives for fracking because they do not want the sub-surface water in this area to be used for fracking.

La. Commissioner of Conservation Recommendation on Water Sources

August 2011

Commissioner of Conservation Jim Welsh recommends that oil and gas operators with interest in developing the Tuscaloosa Marine Shale in Central Louisiana choose their water sources wisely for use in drilling or hydraulic fracture stimulation operations. Of particular interest are areas to the west of the Red River and east of the Mississippi River where the Chicot, Evangeline, Jasper, Catahoula and Southern Hills Aquifer systems are being used predominately for drinking water supply for domestic and public water supplies.

Based on information provided by the Louisiana Geological Survey, freshwater surface recharge areas for these aquifer systems are located throughout major portions of Central Louisiana and nearly all of the Northern Florida parishes east of the Mississippi River. Preventing and minimizing reductions of freshwater recharge into aquifer systems is a key aspect to maintaining and improving aquifer system sustainability.

Based on USGS and other published information on ground water resources Louisiana, the Red River and Mississippi River Alluvial aquifer systems are high yield systems comprised of coarse gravel and sand formations continuously recharged by the surface waters of their named rivers. It is further documented that the Red River and Mississippi River Alluvial aquifer systems, due to their hardness and high dissolved solids, are seldom used for domestic and public supply purposes, but are suitable water sources for industrial purposes.

Therefore, if ground water must be used for drilling or hydraulic fracture stimulation purposes, it is recommended that the Red River and Mississippi River Alluvial aquifers be utilized for these purposes, where feasible, as the source of ground water supply in lieu of the Chicot, Evangeline, Jasper, Catahoula and Southern Hills Aquifer systems. However, agency staff will continue to evaluate water usage from these aquifer systems for hydraulic fracture stimulation operations according to state law.

The Commissioner further encourages oil and gas operators to use the available surface water resources or other acceptable alternative water sources in the Central and Florida parishes of Louisiana, where practical and feasible.

Provided below are links to published documents, resources and references available for water quality and use in Louisiana. If you have any questions or need further clarification, please contact Environmental Division staff at 225-342-8244 or by email at http://dnr.louisiana.gov/groundwater.

Am I correct in assuming that “surface water” would exclude a pound that has a submersible well pump? It was mentioned on another thread that a landowner was installing a pump in hopes of selling frac water; wouldn’t that defeat the purpose of minimizing the impact on ground water?  Thanks

A pond is surface water and is not excluded.  The Commissioner is encouraging the industry to avoid using ground water, meaning wells.  As long as the pond is not replenished by a well it is surface water and may be sold in the industry.  The intent is to protect the fresh water aquifers that landowners depend on for their potable water supply by way of their water wells.  The submersible pump is of no consequence.  The determining factor is where did the water come from.  If it's natural run off into a private pond, bayou or other water body, it's okay.  If it's from a well, it's not.

I heard yesterday that a well site is being prepared near Booker cemetery lane, and on la 10 near the Clinton arena

shed just passed Camp Avondale. Does anybody have any information on either of these? I also talked with a person who said that Devon oil is opening a office in Zachary.

Yes , camp Avondale well permitted on 8/3/11.. 4000 ft shallow gas well.
All info on SONRIS, awesome tool!!!!
Will research Booker cemetery road....
HEY GUYS, i too spent 40 mins. on phone with Ben... learned alot about what O+G companies may be looking for in future for drill sites and operations as related to H2O availability.  the turn of events are amazing and i think we all as land/mineral owners need to be vigilent in exercising leases... the O+G companies are always trying to stay a few steps ahead of us... thanks to these sites we can share similar experiences and educate one another on what to anticipate and plan for in entertaining lease offers..  i have registered my surface water reservior in central Evangeline Parish with Ben's company for no charge/obligations whatsoever.. However, he did reveal to me that there are changes on the way for the company and fees will be involved..  i have no problem with that as long as my resources are exposed to O+G companies searching for land, water and lease agreements.....
I have been in touch with Benjamin about water off and on for over a year. He even came to W. Fel to meet with me and friends. He continually adds to and improves his services and tools to help landowners. What most landowners don't realize is that O&G companies can't just go on Google maps and spot what looks like a pond or lake and pick up the phone and call you - they don't know how much water is in your pond or if you would be willing to sell it or any details they need to know - Ben accumulates all the data - computes water volume  and coordinates and the contact info from a willing landowner. This information can be a great shortcut and money saver for well site scouts.
Does anyone know if they are testing the Lane 64 yet? I had heard they were running a packer and tubing to test the 2nd frac'd interval.
Please email me at: winnjohn1@gmail.com if you hear anything about the Lane 64 #1. It is my undestanding that a horizontal frac may be difficult due to "resistivity" or something. Also, do you know if Richfield Petroleum has acreage in the Feliciana parishes? Thanks, John

John,

The "High Resistivity" has nothing to do with whether the formation is frackable. It indicates the probable presence of Hydocarbons (OIL). Its the composition of the matrix that determines the frackability. Until we have direct information about the formation you and others are guessing. Guessing does no one any good. This play is just beginning and we have few to no wells in production or any real knowledge of the formation in this area. That is unless you have direct knowledge and can provide a source. 

Thanks for the reply, Joe. I bought a few shares on the Goodrich Petroleum Corporation because they have about 75,000 net acres scattered throughout the area ( parishes:Wilkinson, Amite, both Felicianas, St. Helena, Pike, Washington). I was just guessing that the performance of the Lane 64 #1 would be representative of the parishes I mentioned. I agree with you, guessing can be costly. Regards, John Winn in Texas. 

Just curious.  When giving the laundry list of parishes where Goodrich may have acquired leases, I noticed that you skipped right over Tangipahoa Parish, and listed Washington Parish (which is to the east of Tangipahoa).  Any basis for that?

Thanks.

DCM

RSS

© 2020   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service