Views: 22813

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Bernell:

In the Florida parishes in particular (being part of Spanish / British West Florida, being those parishes lying east of the Mississippi River and lying north of Bayou Manchac and Lake Ponchartrain), much of the land is divided into a "patchwork quilt" of regular and irregular Jeffersonian sections, framed around prior land grants, older proven enclosure claims, headright lands and some arpent tracts. In other words, there is not much north-south-east-and-west orientation to land divisions in these areas. Also, the old continental shelf (Edwards shelf) line generally runs 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock across the area to which you are referring. At a certain distance above (north) of the shelf, orientation is of relatively small consequence.

On the LA side of the play, however, it appears to have become convention to unitize portions of the lands with a geologic component dependent upon then old shelf line in an orientation which parallels the shelf line. In many cases, the growth faults and displacements similarly parallel the old shelf, which acted as a primary factor in determining orientation. Other unitized formations (including "conventional" Tuscaloosa and Austin Chalk) follow a similar pattern of orientation in many areas (though not always).

As far as nomenclature: TMS of course refers to the formation (Tuscaloosa Marine Shale). RA refers to Reservoir A (the first defined reservoir in a field), SUA refers to Sand Unit A (being the first unit defined in the reservoir). In conventional formations, the reservoir is usually defined as a general area in which the formation is likely connected and formation pressure remains roughly uniform throughout even during depletion (although unconventional formations challenge this convention). In some cases the next reservoir happens to coincide with the next unit formed in the same field which happens to be discontinuous with the prior defined units. Similarly, "Sand Unit" holds very little connection with a Shale formation (though if pressed I guess the "S" could similarly denote "Shale" as well as Sand, although a Chalk Unit would not denoted as "CUA").

Finally, the convention for the Haynesville formation for naming units is "HA", not "HS", even though the Haynesville Sand is different in character that the corresponding shale of similar geologic age. Go figure. To some extent, DNR adapts the naming conventions of the companies which discover and develop the fields, and subsequently may adapt "standard" conventions of their own at a certain point whenever they see fit.

Thank you very much for the information.

I am an accountant with very limited knowledge of petroleum engineering or geology.  Your explanation is helpful.

As a follow-up, though, if I'm understanding you correctly the Edwards shelf would run from southeast to northwest.

The Blades unit runs from southwest to northeast.

So, it would appear the plan is to drill perpendicular to the formation such that the fracking will be parallel with the formation, rather than parallel to the formation. 

Is this unusual or just a part of the experimental nature of the TMS at this time?

Per another poster on another discussion...a rig is now onsite at the Blades 33H.

I'm assuming it is the Ensign 723 Rig coming from the Weyerhaeuser 51H.

Yes, the rig came from Weyerhaeuser 51H.

Went to Blades 33H #1 well sight on 1-14-2014. Rig was not up yet. They seemed to be putting rig up.
Attachments:

Looks like a few days more.

Gerald,

Is it okay to use this pic on another free site?

Yes, What site is that?

I've sent you a friend request.  Accept me and I'll be glad to share the name.

I think it would be a violation of the policy of this site for me to put that site name on here.

Bernell, congrats.  You are correct.  That's exactly the way to handle that under the site rules.

I try, Skip.  I try.

LOL!  And I appreciate it.  So many members don't understand how a website owner generates income.  And that there is a big difference between posting a link to a news article and one to a competing website.  Most instances of posting links to other sites are by members who don't understand and are simply trying to help out.  However occasionally it is not an innocent posting but one intended to drive traffic to another website.  Keith works hard to maintain a quality website and should be compensated for such links.  If not, it's poaching.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service