Curious for input for reasons that the Haynesville is doing pretty well, but the F'ville has not had a rig in two years. I know the wells are more productive, but the lower cost of D&C in the F'ville should make it somewhat attractive.  Any input?

Views: 1218

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Shadow, BPM has made some good points about Bowie County plus put forth some good resources to check to compare Bowie Co to overall activity.

The attached PDF (from DrillingInfo) shows the RJ Cramer 922 survey around the center (note the NW to SE running gas pipeline that runs thru the center of the survey). You will also note two dry hole symbols on this map (one in Edwards and one in Bassett surveys). There are very old dry holes with no info available on the Tx RRC site (although I am sure some log libraries may have logs and scout tickets on these wells).

Production in this part of the state is controlled by two main features - the pinchout of the prospective section that runs E-W through Bowie County (see my previous PDF that I posted) and then the Mexia Talco Fault system that runs also E-W along the Cass / Bowie County line.

Your survey and minerals are located between these two "trapping" trends. There is no significant production seen in this "gap" that contains your minerals (although the aforementioned and other dry holes have indicated historical attempts to find something).

The good news about your minerals is that there is subsurface section in that area that CAN be prospective if O&G were to be trapped in that area. Hydrocarbons have migrated from south to north through you area. However, there has to be a mechanism (e.g. fault closure, structural closure, stratigraphic pinchout, etc.) to trap this migrating O&G to give one something to drill for.

Potentially prospective targets in this area would include (from bottom to top) the Smackover, Cotton Valley / Travis Peak Sand, Rodessa, Paluxy, Woodbine and Nacatoch / Navarro intervals.

With no well control, there is no subsurface "shows" to key off of for a new well. Some seismic (2D or 3D) would help evaluate the subsurface in your area, but an operator needs a reason to want to spend that sort of money to see if there is something of value to drill a well for.

Personally, I would hold onto the minerals - if anyone were to purchase them now, they would give you peanuts for their value. In the future, some operator may have a concept to play in this area and do the work (e.g. Seismic) to see if there is reason to drill a well.

Another alternative (and a long shot) is to advertise that you have these minerals (2000 acres is a good hunk of acreage) and indicate that you would be interested in leasing for reasonable terms to any operator who may be interested in shooting seismic and then drilling a well in this area.

As with all my comments, these are just my opinions on this situation.

Attachments:

Rock Man, thank you for your detailed reply.  I am not knowledgeable enough to understand some of the Oil and Gas technical information, so thank you.  You definitely know what is going on.  I do plan on keeping the minerals, maybe one day there will some interest, even if it is for our children or grandchildren.  Your information and thoughts about this has been of help to me.

Thanks for your reply. You never know what may happen in the future - remember that no one drilled "shales" until the early 2000's and that play is now allowing the USA to be an oil exporter.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service