How can you verify that the operator is paying you correctly on your royalty----

The decimal interest is correct on division order. How can you obtain itemized statement showing all details of NG price the operator received and all deductions taken out or if royalty free clause in lease are you getting gross price minus only taxes. Is operator required to give you this information on your written request? Is email considered written request? Is this a normal recommendation royalty owners should due? I have heard royalty department has been know to "accidently" make errors in calculations.

Tags: How, can, correctly, is, on, operator, paying, royalty, that, the, More…verify, you, your

Views: 307

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

the price you will receive is the price paid at the wellhead. Most likly when it is sold into the pipeline owned by LA Midstream.

The henry hub price is a good benchmark, but not the price you will ever receive.

Your gas may never even go to the henry hub....
Baron,

I think you hit the nail on the head. If the price is set at the wellhead, who watches over Louisiana Midstream to make sure they pay a fair price to their "affiliated" company, Chesapeake, that pays the royalty owner???

JD
JD, it is likely Louisana Midstream is only transporting the gas but not purchasing. I would just ask Chesapeake where the gas is being "sold" - at the delivery into LM or some point downstream.
Baron,
Just to be clear for uninformed people like me... Would you please define "wellhead?" Where is it?
wherever the operator deems it to be.
Typically it will be at the meter where the gas is turned to sales.
Baron,

Thanks for your expertise on this, and many other topics. But I'm still confused. By your definition of the wellhead, have the contaminants (H2S, water, CO2, etc) already been removed?

And, typically, how far from the well site is the gas "turned to sales." Is it sold when it goes into some major pipeline? Or is the point of sales a gazillion miles away?

Can you offer an explanation/tutorial on how gas is sold? And when it is sold, to whom is it sold? For example, when the gas leaves my well, it goes into a gathering line, right? And this gathering line might have gas from several different operators, right? So what happens after the gas goes into the gathering line? This is a mystery to me.
Henry, see my post below that gas can be "sold" (first sales) at almost any point along the flow path from the unit to some point downstream where gas is delivered into an interstate gas pipeline (or even further downstream).

This sale can occur before treatment (to remove contaminants) or downstream after treatment.

Joint owners in a unit can each market their share of production independently (and receive different prices) or elect to have the operator market all the unit gas.
Henry, I would define it to be at the unit since unit produced volumes have to be measured before being commingled with other production.
so the operator can sell the gas from the "wellhead" to it's own marketing company for below Henry hub price.... say $3 as an example... and then the marketing company sells it at the Henry Hub price... say $4? is that legal... or a bigger question... ethical...? what am i thinking..."click"...duh! thanks, jhh
I can see where CHK has devised a way to cheat mineral owners and in the end turn a huge profit for the company. Is this common practice with all operators or just CHK?
i don't know if chk is doing this... or any other operator. i was just thinking... following the discussion... is this what's happening? the truth is out there somewhere... thanks, jhh

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service