I received a 1099-MISC for income from wells in which I am an unleased mineral owner. The operator listed the income in Box 7 as Nonemployee Compensation. The tax program I'm using is treating it as business income and therefore I'm having to pay self-employment tax on it. Is this correct? I don't feel this is earned income that I should have to pay Social Security on; I work for a school district and pay into the teacher's retirement fund, not Social Security. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Views: 1483

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kathy, I'll add my two cents regarding casingpoints less than civil tone.  Please don't let one somewhat discourteous replay lead you to abandon us.  We need you.  :-)

Kathy,  I haven't read any of casingpoints remarks before but when I read it, I thought it was an attempt at humor.  It is not always easy to know the writer's intent. 

Thanks for the backup, Bobi Carr. One stays around the O&G business, your skin soon turns to rawhide.


© 2021   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service