"To keep royalties low, companies sometimes set up subsidiaries or limited partnerships to which they sell oil and gas at reduced prices, only to recoup the full value of the resources when their subsidiaries resell it. Royalty payments are usually based on the initial transaction."

I've read about this above issue before along with some others but this is just outright theft. We need our states to protect land owners from this. Land owners getting screwed doesn't help future development or economic development. Operators and land owners need to act with ethics for a win/win situation at all times. If they can't, then our elected officials are going to have to act. 

Views: 7077

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Work in the O&G industries and make good money until  they go on their 10 year boom and bust cycles. I feel we are moving into a bust cycle even with oil nearing $110 per barrel. 

Two Dogs, I too believe that we are headed to pop this bubble especially in our shale plays such as the Eagleford and the Bakken. It's just a gut feeling but it's kind of long in the tooth.

Now as far as 10 year cycles check your long term rig count versus oil price charts you'll see the cycle is getting shorter and shorter between boom and bust. It was claimed by my bosses that it's prejected to be so short in the future that they can't lay off people like they once would, because they won't be able to keep them them off the payroll long enough to make it worth doing. If this is the case you could see the industry shift to contract workers more than ever.

My prediction is possibly a real good oil price spike before October 30th with a middle east war coupled with a hurricane or two. It will be followed by the downturn in price and then on land drilling for oil. Now with a near 70 percent decline rate in shale wells I think the the downturn will be just long enough to damage the Eagleford and the Bakken's ability to get hand back as quickly as they would want to.

As far as my work area (deepwater GOM) I think we would be wise to pick up all the good workers in the Shale plays that get displaced and hold on to them. Deepwater drilling has long term rig contracts and a longer time horizon for dealing with shorter wave cycles in energy prices.

How will this affect land owners dealing with energy companies? I think we'll have to hold on for a rough ride, but in less than two years someone has to drill or get off of the pot on my land. It's all good.

I came across this last night... it makes what CHK is doing in the Haynesville look downright kind to royalty owners.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/28/us-chesapeake-marcellus-i...

Great article Henry!  Have not been to the site in a while.  It's been very quiet over here in East Texas.  jhh

Even the Washington Post comes out against CHK on this issue....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/fracking-contracts-can-leave...

And here's a link to the ProPublica article...

http://www.propublica.org/article/unfair-share-how-oil-and-gas-dril...

Yes, so sign a lease and get 200-300 bucks an acre for the possibility of getting screwed sometime within the next three years with an option to get screwed for the same amount of consideration for an additional amount of time. These guys got them a big scam.

Costs necessary to get wellhead gas to a buyer should be paid by the operator, the lessor remaining free of all charges to drop out the water and oil and compress gas for transmission to the buyer.

Point of transfer can be at the wellhead, or miles away at a gathering plant, or hundreds of miles away at the end user. Typical examples would be Haynesville Shale gas sold directly by the operator to a school system in Kansas City or to an aluminum plant in Tennessee.

A lessor who still owns his gas at this point can be liable for the cost incurred at a gathering plant to turn wellhead gas into pipeline grade gas and deliver it to the customer.

But, lessor must also be paid royalty calculated on the actual point of transfer of the gas from the operator to an unaffiliated-in-any-way arms-length transaction buyer. This is the point at which some really profitable lying can start.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/30/chesapeake-marcellus-idUS...

It looks like Pennsylvania might TRY to move in the right direction.

the best way to handle the problem is not to lease your property. The Joy of having them beg is worth more than any royalty check.

Beg?

You better own the whole section or the 2 sections involved in case of a slant well to stop the drilling.  The days of 10, 20 or 40 acre well leases are over.  This applies to highways, Electric Lines, Pipelines, etc.  Still I would rather be a land owner than not.  Obama still is working on share the wealth though.

Just look at "Brown Dense Rumors" and see how Oil Companies (Will Drill) handle small acreage owners and the big lease owners.  And the Drilling Company handles the expense account. 

If a landowner holds anything approaching 10% of the surface and minerals of a large two section unit, the landowner can actually have leverage and influence a unit application or pursuit of a permit. If enough landowners realize this, there will be some begging. It will be reluctant and not outright pleading, but it will be very inconvenient for the arrogant sobs. It pays to not sign, especially with the first few visits. These people are not gods, though all seem to think they are.

I think I am in a good position, I only have 40 acres and it is surrounded by homes sitting on 2 or less acres. Not sure what a slant well is but might it be a well drilled from off the property which slants to the property I own.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service