New York Times article refers to shale gas drilling as a "giant ponzi scheme".

Views: 470

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

J.J.,

Its an attitude like your's that is the problem. If you don't confront lies or half truths then they become FACT!!!!!

Joboy Aldridge:

I get the NYT on line everyday.  Oil and gas is not the only topic that they misrepresent.  Mine is not an attitude, but an opinion, generally based on fact, just like yours, I hope.

J. Ring

Chesapeake's CEO Aubrey McClendon will be on Jim Cramer's Mad Money on CNBC tonight. In addition to other subjects, he'll address the New York Times article. Tune in if you can and let us know what you thought!
Thanks, David! What did you think?

http://www.chk.com/news/articles/Pages/1579995.aspx

I've read quite a few posts about the NYT article but didn't see that anyone has posted a link to the Chesapeake rebuttal which I thought was quite good.  Please excuse this post if this is a redundancy.

Best Regards,

Phil

By the way, I think the NYT article might have put some upward pressure on NG prices.  That can't be bad, can it?

Phil

That's true unfortunately.  Supply and demand.  Right now there is an abundant supply and a sluggish demand. If the supply is reduced then the price could go up.

Restricting NG in states like NY and PENN may (over the long term) help the value of Haynesville gas. It's simple supply and demand. But, in those states the coal industry is very strong.  The last map I saw of reserves around the US showed shale gas in almost every region.  We are sitting on giant resources of it.

However, over the long term I am hopeful that Pickens and Aubrey and many others will develop new uses for natural gas.  That's our best hope for a sustained rise in prices.

Phil, the  words "New York Times" denote the direct password to  the planet Mars! Credibility is a word totally ubknown to that pretense  for a newspaper.   They do write good/poor  fairy tales.

The TITLE of The NYT's article tells the whole story.  It uses the most Offensive tactics known to ethical Journalism:  Half-Truth,  Hyperbole, Fear Mongering, and use of a  False Premise Statement....The "gotcha" is in the very first word:  "'Enron'"... and the next "gotcha" is in the use of a colon symbol after the "'Enron moment'," equating ENRON to "natural gas"...  Those sum up the context of what the article will present to its readers.  Always a giveaway.

If this article had been written under the domain of "editorial writing/commentary," then this NYT's piece would have been less agregous but still, journalistically ethically unsound.

IMO  DrWAVeSport Cd1 6/29/2011

DrWAVeSport Cd1

I was hoping all this was false information but I am a little worried about my well.  It came in around September 2009 and I only have 2 acres.  The pressure was a little over 8000 psi and I was excited when it was rated at almost 18 million cubic feet of gas per day.  Well, now it is less than 2 years and the well is declining at an unbelievable rate.  As of April of this year the well pressure is a little over 100 psi.  The well serial number is 239731. The choke is also set at 20.  Can anyone tell me why the pressure dropped this fast and is this common?  I also heard that a horizontal well can be re-fracked up to 10 times but I see no support for that information.  I can't remember where I read it since it was about 2 years ago.  I am just worried that this well is running out of gas.  Thanks for any help with my questions.
Your well has produced right at 3 BCF in seventeen months of reported production.  It's a good well.  The decline is normal.  And the flowing pressure reported on 5/1/11 is a typo.  Take a deep breath and relax.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service