On the Cover of Rolling Stone - Aubrey McClendon & The Scam Behind the Gas Boom

Dang!  This might spoil my pleasant memories of reading Rolling Stone Magazine when I was in college.  The March 15, 2012 issue will have an article about Fracking and Natural Gas. It's staring our favorite guy, Aubrey McClendon who shows off his wine collection to a Rolling Stones reporter!!!!  Maybe Aubrey also read Rolling Stone in college and maybe that's why he seems to have dropped his guard in this interview.

And, how about this catchy sub-headline .... The Big Fracking Bubble:  It’s not only toxic – it’s driven by a right-wing billionaire who profits more from flipping land than drilling for gas.  While the article has a bunch of quotes about the business of natural gas it really drives its point home with quotes from Aubrey.

"We're the biggest frackers in the world," he declares proudly over a $400 bottle of French Bordeaux at a restaurant he co-owns in his hometown of Oklahoma City. "We frack all the time. What's the big deal?"

Overall my impression of the article is that Aubrey trusted the Rolling Stone reporter far too much.  Rolling Stone Magazine was huge in our generation.  I would be tickled pink to be interviewed by Rolling Stone.  I can see him dropping his guard and not realizing the PR trap he was walking into.

For those familiar with the business side of natural gas the inaccurate (or slanted) parts are easy to spot - however, for those familiar with Aubrey McClendon, the public relations flaws are also easy to spot.  He's brilliant, but impulsive. I don't think he's a crook - but he is driven by his vision.  So was Steve Jobs, and recent biographies show what a flawed guy Jobs was.  Maybe that's what it takes to make history?  Both men clearly want to make history.  Personally, I think giving the world more natural gas is better than giving the world Ipods (yeah, Apple's a great computer, but does it deserve to be valued more highly than Exxon-Mobil in the market??)

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-big-fracking-bubble-t...

Here's the original Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show song "On the Cover of Rolling Stone". One of the great novelty songs of all time - with the lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVMhZN-9V7c

Views: 1906

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The magazine, like other publications "representing" different viewpoints, is all about the financial bottom line.

The simple minded RollingStone aims to suck in a foolish populace with too much spending money and directed the headline for that purpose. Every group in America has a similar rag.

Our country destroys itself acting silly as the various extremest in our own country create and sustain sideshows designed to keep Americans at war with one another.

That every American can't or won't rally behind the shared sacrifice required to move America to use it's own energy reserves has the world slack jawed at our softness or laughing all to the way to victory over us.

What in the world will it take for a people that can't rally, in fact further divides, after the slaughter of 3000+ Americans?

Antiqued Rose, Bayou Billionaires are too busy with "doing their own thang." Can hardly wait til I am one.!!!!!!

Amen and amen. I'd even put myself out there like the BB's! Wrap myself up in all kinda stuff of my own liken'. Move and smile with easiness like the Dowdens.

I love this. Guess we all could develop a "more cultured" way of life!!! Perhaps we should have had "better raisin"

at billion dollars a second - the web is aptly named [!]

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service