Chesapeake, Phillips Energy 1 #H1 Well, Serial #239571, S1-T14N-R15W, DeSoto Parish, 8977 Mcfd, 16/64" Choke, 7590 psi Flowing Pressure

This well was initially permitted as a Smackover to be drilled to 11,660ft VD but the current paper work has this well listed at 11,800 ft VD and is as a Haynesville shale reservoir A well. My first question is how can they drill into the HA if the well was permitted for the Smackover? Second question is how can this be a HA well if the Smackover was defined at 11,660 ft. previously when the HA is shallow to the Smackover formation. I was just curious since 8000Mcfd would be a significant find on a Smackover horizontal. Thanks for any information.

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They permit Haynesville wells with all kind of designations, Lower Cotton Valley, Cotton Valley Stringer, Jurassic, Smackover, Haynesville Stringer etc. I can guarantee you this is a Haynesville Shale well.
Do you know if the Smackover has ever had a horizontal well?
EOG has permitted a HZ Smackover in Arkansas, you can keep up with it at the Arkansas group page, we are waiting to see if they finish out the lateral. Like Dion said, many formations can be properly produced and drained using vertical wells due to the higher porosity of many sand and other types of formations, oil and gas shales, and other formations like the James Lime need horizontal completions to be properly exploited. Only time and technology will tell what other zones will lend themselves to horizontal exploration.
Thanks for the information.
The area they are drilling is not the traditioal Smackover. Its called the Brown Dense.
What more do you know about this Baron? Is it a Smackover LIme?
I know its highly faulted. Thus the need for a horizontal. I have also heard of problems with H2S.
North LA:

In what Field Order was the Smackover defined at this depth in Caspiana Field? I am not finding the order in the index.

Generally there is not a compelling reason to drill a HZ well in the Smackover, as the added cost of a HZ completion does not appreciably increase production from the zone.

Looking at the well, I would agree with Checkmateking. This was a HA completion the whole way. The top of the Smackover is below the vertical depth stated here.

Keep in mind that Smackover depth runs shallower at points north and/or west of this location in Caspiana.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service