Der Spiegel Story

Occupational medicine experts have classified substances like tetraethylenepentamine as being toxic to groundwater and corrosive. ExxonMobil points out that the concentrations of such chemicals in fracking fluid are very low. "If you were to drink more than three or four glasses of fracking fluid," says Sieber, "the worst that would happen to you would be the sort of diarrhea you'd get from drinking castor oil."

Views: 697

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not sure about DDT, but I heard this happen with the stuff called Alum (I think) when it was being applied to apples. 

Bpm:

I believe that you are referring to Alar.  Alum makes your voice squeaky, shrivels your lips, and shrinks your head (at least according to well respected time-honored cartoon canon).

In the high water of 1973 I had a person from the low country of Avoylles Parish rent one of my houses, he only paid the first months rent and I had to kick him and his family out after 3 months of no payment. When I went in to clean the house I found at least 1000 roaches around each door frame. Nothing killed these roaches but DDT they were amune to all the poisons of the day. I was covered with DDT and am still alive and kicking at 62 years old, I may die tomorrow because of the exposure to the DDT but that remains to be seen.

DDT has no negative health effects on people - there are stories about soldiers bathing in it in Italy toward the end of World War II.  Its just really bad for birds (egg shells).  

the eggshell thing isn't even true either, it's been debunked a number of times.

i've written about the "silent spring" phenomenon extensively and just thought i would drop in when i happened to see this.

The moon landing has been debunked several times also.....

no it hasn't

That's it!  OK, I guess I better put the chemist career on hold for now...

While we joke about drinking Frack fluid, I'm sure no one here will be willing to do so. 

The ExxonMobile folks stated that three or four glasses would only cause slight discomfort for an individual who purposely drank the brew.  I know of another substance that only causes slight discomfort for most individuals when they consume very small amounts in their food, e-coli.  Some folks don't fair so well because their bodies have a hard time handling substances that we all come in contact with everyday.  Changing the wording from "a substance created by nature" to "a substance chemically brewed by man" has a big effect on people's mind set.  Of course, anybody who stands to gain financial reward from from any "substance" will general defend that substance no matter what, even to the point of offering an unlikely commitment of drinking a glass or two of the harmless concoction (which according to the article, did not take place).

Giving the fact that the decision makers have to concern themselves with all possibilities, simply stamping approvals may prove not to be cost effective for the whole population.  One thing I noticed from the link that we should give pause to, is our understanding of the process proposed for Germany, the depth of the source rock.  From the article.

Ulrich Windhaus heads the agency's permit-granting department. "We have taken a very careful look at the situation with fracking," he explains, "and not just since the most recent debates." The unique problem in Germany, Windhaus adds, is that the shale formations containing the gas are closer to the surface than most conventional deposits, which means they are much closer to groundwater levels and, in some cases, even within the same stratum. Some shale formations in Lower Saxony reach almost to the surface. For this reason alone, says Windhaus, "a more comprehensive analysis has to be conducted."

My acceptance of Fracking is largely due to the fact that there is enough rock between the producing zone and the ground water zone to prevent any contamination from migration.  I think it's wise to let Germany's people make up their own minds about what they want to use for their energy.

Now, ExxonMobile;  around the world there are many companies in the hydrocarbon industry and  ExxonMobile is one of the companies that has the reputation of being difficult to work with.  They don't like rules and they nickle and dime other companies that do business with them.  Basically they're a headache.

Frack fluid kills e-coli.

Googled tetraethylenepentamine and it's not as bad as some of the other stuff out there.  E-coli may be safe after all. 

Found the following about German law requirements for chemicals, looks like it covers everything.

The German Federal Water Management Act requires that substances be evaluated for negative influence on the physical, chemical or biological characteristics of water. These are classified into numeric water hazard classes (WGK or WHC depending whether you use the German or English abbreviation).

• WGK nwg: Non-water polluting substance
  • WGK 1: Slightly water polluting substance
  • WGK 2: Water polluting substance
  • WGK 3: Highly water polluting substance

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service