I hope everyone watched GASLAND on HBO. rerunning all the time and also on demand. It's time to learn the consequences of the money you are making.

Tags: GASland, HBO:

Views: 411

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

So it is acceptable to get your facts from HBO and not from research?
I guess you can be defined by the choices you make and what you choose to believe.
Well I never ---

Seriously, GH, you need to grow some thicker skin, if this good-natured ribbing is enough to scare you off. I'll knock it off; we try to make people welcome around here. Otherwise, how will you ever talk to Baron...

In case you haven't noticed, there are more than a few people around here that are DEFINITELY not pro-O&G companies, or pro-Landman for that matter. I (in the interest of disclosure) am a landman, but I've been here for a while, so most folks pretty much leave me alone unless they have a bone to pick with one of my points that runs a little too company-friendly. And then, guess what, I have to prove my points and stand up to debate, (and sometimes stand up to some gratuitous knocks) just like everyone else.

GHS is definitely not an echo chamber for the O&G industry, but it also doesn't tolerate the unprepared or those of willful disregard. If anything, the interests of the individual landowner, his (or her) rights to lease or not lease at whatever terms, and do what they want on their own property, is what drives this site.

In my experience, the members also don't aknowledge needless hyperbole bordering on idiocy either. The south half of the state (where I am located) is just fine, save and except the coastal areas east of Atchafalaya Bay, which for sake of those involved, I would not refer to their plight as "toast". Furthermore, if the world economy were to collapse, it would not be the result of one oil spill, even a very large one.

So if you would like to stop stamping your feet and pouting, on behalf of GHS, we would like to invite you back to the adult table. Might we also suggest watching Haynesville, which more accurately depicts what the world of most GHS members has been like since this all began in this little portion of the world called NW LA.
The facts presented by Energy in Depth can easily be checked. That what they say is consistent with considerable research on my part leads me to believe what they say. So I guess that answers the why. Is the HBO film consistent with considerable research from reputable sources? If not why would you choose to believe it. One of the most insidious and popular logical falacies is the ad hominem attack.
The Energy in Depth statements don't turn false because they said them.
I think the movie is to make Mr. Josh some cash and break him into the business.
It appears that Gilbert, along with millions of other people, continue to be naive, uninformed, lazy citizens that will believe all the scare tactics utilized by the movie makers. As with all of the oil and gas companies, Josh Fox has an agenda. The oil and gas companies are in business to make money and they need to do this within the regulatory framework in place. When they don't, things like BP happen and the companies get hugely penalized.

As a citizen of America you need to question Josh Fox agenda and not believe his propaganda unchecked. His primary agenda is to sell his movie after all.

Don't be lazy, and read up on the claims made in the movie. Read "debunked", get involved and form an intelligent decision, rather than a kneejerk reaction to a emotionally tactical movie.
Burn More Coal!!! Burn More Coal!!! Burn More Coal!!! Burn More Coal!!! Burn More Coal!!! Burn More Coal!!! Burn More Coal!!! Burn More Coal!!!
I think everyone on this site and anyone they can tell should read "Power Hungry" by:Robert Bryce. It gives a very clear picture of the economics of all forms of electricity generation and I can tell you that all forms of solar and wind generation will not survive without either massive government subsidy and/or massive taxes on the production of fossil fuels. What I can't understand is why anyone would want more expensive energy in an economy like we have right now. That will inevitably result in a reduction in our ability to grow our economy. The book states and backs up with statistics that economic growth is a direct result of a country's ability to generate more and more electricity.
There will be more individuals who get a distorted view of hydraulic fracture stimulation from the media. Imagine living in a beautiful rural area of New York State or Pennsylvania and having no prior knowledge of the subject, then you turn on HBO and view Gasland. I can see a lot of individuals being quite upset. Personally I think it is in the best interest of the majority to help them understand the facts and attempt to allay the irrational fears generated by sensationalism in the media. You wouldn't have to be an extreme environmental partisan to have a reaction similar to Mr. Hetherwick's.
Skip - thanks for the info on depth and water. That's interesting to me. I am a mineral owner in the HS and support the industry. However, this documentary is getting wide reporting. CNN ran a story showing the tap water catching on fire today. Bits and pieces of the more sensational parts are running on other news shows.

I don't know the science behind all this - but like millions of Americans I am scared as hell of what's happened in the Gulf. I am shocked that BP does not have a better handle on stopping it. The problem in the Gulf has put a spotlight on the O&G industry.

Legislative change is coming .... no matter what party is in office. I used to be a lobbyist (years ago) and I have a pretty good sense of the mood of legislators and how they make laws. My advise would be for everyone interested in shale development to put out solid, scientific info as soon as possible. Gasland will be a game changer coming at this time.
Lighting up the water faucet is nothing new. There was an artisian well in front of the courthouse in Grant Parish that burned for many years.
Skip:

I'm sorry for not responding to your reply earlier, as I've been busy running other traps in between defending myself as a stinkin lanmans for the umpteenth time. But I seem to remember a Mr. Gilbert Hetherwick out of Shreveport that was a longtime Arklatex mineral law attorney, and I figured that Gil Jr. might be related. If he was, I figured he might now a little bit about the oil and gas business. If that was the case, there would be more to it then what one might learn from watching HBO.

So I checked, and sure enough, Mr. Hetherwick did practice law and was of counsel with Blanchard, Walker, O'Quin & Roberts (I'm sure folks have seen a few notices for hearings from the firm).

A quick Google search shows a Gilbert Hetherwick Jr., raised in Shreveport who was with Sony BMG prior to going off to establishing his own ventures in NY. I know that he might have been away for awhile, but Shreveport/Bossier has been a center of oil and gas E&P for a long time, and I would think that he could call up a few people from back home to talk about concerns from watching Gasland prior to making a declarative statement like "It's time to learn the consequences of the money you are making", being the son of of an energy law attorney.

Or perhaps he's a completely different Gilbert Hetherwick (Jr.).
Les B, what amazes me is when the coal mine in WV a couple of months ago killed more than 20 people and they did not put a moratorium on ALL MINES. They had it up and running again within days.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service