Was contacted today about signing for a 3D seismic shoot.  I am leased.  Was offered $15 per acre plus any damages.  He said that was standard price everyone was being offered unless the lease stipulated different.  My lease Exhibit “A” has the following statement:  “No seismic survey shall be conducted on the lease premises without further permission of the Lessor, which permission shalll be subject to further requirements”.  There is a water well testing clause, but in my case that is n/a.

Not looking to hold out, just want to make sure I’m getting a fair offer.  Anyone care to elaborate on my position (lease language), anything I may need in the seismic contract, and what is a fair rate.


Views: 2716

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds pretty standard. Would you care to tell us where you are? There are many who would like to know. Thank you!

Sounds pretty standard. Would you care to tell us where you are? There are many who would like to know. Thank you!

I’m in North Evangeline Parish, but I was told that the project was huge - 600 square miles. Heard the same thing from both the guy with the seismic company and a principal of the company I leased to

Centuryman- I was wondering if rapides parish is included in this survey-or if we are dead in the water now. Obviously the re-entry into the old giant well was a failure. Wondering if the whole parish will be avoided now. 

Can’t say for sure, but I got the impression that S/E Rapides would be included as well as parts os Avoyelles.

A land owner in western Avoyelles Parish said he was also offered $15 per acre for seismic lease last week.

Century man is it fair to ask who you are leased with and also the name of the seismic company?  I heard same as Abington just mentioned.  Wondering if all the same? 

Also, is seismic company talking vibroseis or dynamite / shoot holes?

dynamite, contacted us JUNE


Sorry I don’t know enough about this to answer that.  Care to explain the difference?

Two main types of energy sources for seismic for onshore operations: vibrator and shot hole (dynamite or similar explosive).

Shot hole energy sources are drilled to a certain depth with a small drilling rig (which can be AT mounted). Hole can be a few feet to over 100' depending on the area) and then loaded with a certain amount of explosive material. Material is rigged with detonator and hole is filled in. The seismic operator sets off charge and records seismic vibrations.

I vibroseis source is tied to having a series of vibrator trucks that stop at various intervals, lower a large, heaving metal "pad" to contact ground (and elevate the truck) and then "vibrate" the plate at various frequencies to generate agency into the ground to create seismic reflections.

Obviously, you need dry and accessible land to move vibrators (normally in groups of 3-4 units set up in a specific array / pattern). Tough terrain will require shot holes and explosives if vibrator trucks cannot cross an area.

Wetlands and offshore areas (as well as rivers and lakes / ponds) will use air guns that that generate a sonic "boom" that creates seismic energy.

If having shot holes used for energy sources, landowners may want to include a clause that says that any shot hole is filled in after explosive charge is set. Or that any failed charge (a dud) is dug out and removed and not left behind.

Definitely going to be shot holes.  As it was explained to me the holes would be ~80 ft. deep.  From the map provided of my prop. looks like E-W lines about 1/4 mile apart, with holes along those lines spaced every 200 ft. or so.  Now the permit document did mention the right to use vibroseis.  I asked about that and it was explained that it would be used on accessible roads and such (my prop. is timberland).  I thought that meant the two types would be used in conjunction.  I may have misunderstood if that isn’t normal.  May just mean they have the option to use V.


© 2019   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service