XTO & EXCO moving rigs into Desoto to drill the deeper formations

I just heard from a friend who is usally on target that XTO & EXCO are getting ready to move in "several" rigs into Desoto to target the upper & lower Smackover and the Norphlet. Has anyone else heard this

Views: 2622

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wouldn't have posted this if it had not come a very reliable source

I wasn't suggesting tests might not occur, only that moving in rigs, to chase gas, was not likely.  

From an economic perspective, chasing deeper gas may not make sense right now.  That said, it might make sesne if you are EXCO and want to either prove new reserves to put on your books, or to ensure that your gas factory infrastructure is optimally utilized.  CHK would be another company, particularly to book the reserves, that might be interested.  

I do think that Two dogs comments are interesting with regard to pressure, as it seems to confirm some non-specific rumors I've heard regarding pressure and the limits of the BOPs commonly used on the Haynesville.  

Kittycat, I for  one don't have a problem with what you are saying.
dbob, I was corrected and scoffed at way back when in 2008 when I first reported the pressure of that well. I was told that it couldn't be that high. I don't work the mechanical end so I just kind of blew it off as maybe just rumors.

2 Dogs,

What makes you think all this activity is for oil? Are you hearing a lot of rumblings of something big in LA or is it just rumor and speculation associated with the potential for production from TMS, AC, or the LSBD?

That would be something for the people in Desoto parish to get the HA followed by the Bossier and then a SMK oil play. People down there must be living right :)

A study was conducted in the Barnet that showed if you drilled one well and produced it down and then drilled other wells to develope the unit at a later date you lost 30% of your EUR as compared to drilling all the wells early on.  That is why EXCO is moving 5 rigs in to develope it's units.
So Terry,  you too have heard that EXCO is moving rigs in?? Keeps me from feeling like the Lone Ranger with my info. I will say my source never said any co. was looking for oil--just testing plays. Also he didn not know where the test wells would take place in Desoto-north or south part of the parish
What are the pay depths for the Haynesville shell in Texas and Louisiana, 12,500 feet in Upshur County.  Is Upshur and Gregg county part of the Haynesville shale play?
Mr. Evans, there are others who are much more qualified to answer your question but, to the best of my understanding, Upshur County Haynesville fields are not part of the shale play but are producing instead from a "sand" or "sandstone" formation. There may be shale present but it is so thin as to not be viable for horizontal drilling which is the way most of these big "shale" wells are produced. The same would be true, I believe, for most of Gregg County with the exception of an area near the Harrison and Rusk County lines.  This is how it has been explained to me and I apologize in advance if I have not related the explanation correctly.
Depths are variable based on where you are. Regarding Gregg and Upshur County, neither is in the core of the play. There has been limited drilling in the extreme SE corner of Gregg County. There is a Haynesville sand formation that is more conventional that is present in Gregg and Upshur County.

Would that sand formation uphold thirty year production for a gas well and a gas well being reclassified into an oil well on the same lease?  This Upshur County play, what happens when gas give up to oil at 12,500 feet historicaly,  do you know?  Thanks for the response, sorry for the delay.

Anyone heard anything new on this post.

RSS

Support GoHaynesvilleShale.com

Not a member? Get our email.

Groups

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service